1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising ducklings w/o the mess

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Corey NC, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I've been thinking about trying to raise some ducklings but make it work so that I don't have to clean out the brooder everyday.

So what if the brooder was raised off the ground and half of the brooder be a wire floor and the other half wood w/ shavings (and a lip to keep them in). I would keep the water and food on the wire so that when the little messy ducklings spill the food and water it would just fall through but they would still have the shaving to get off the wire if they want.

Thoughts?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Raising ducklings w/o the mess

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry. [​IMG]

You will have mess with ducklings no matter what.
    I have mine in a playpen lined with old towels. For me it is less messy than having shavings. I just shake out the towels and wash them every day. I have enough for 3 or 4 changes.

I have a large casserole dish and in that, I put a bowl of water and a bowl of feed. It sure helps with the splashing and soaked bedding. I let them play in the tub once a day, too. I can't wait til their stinky selves can go outside.​

3. linebacker

linebacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    Hey Corey,
    I don't think the set-up would eliminate the mess, but it should make clean-up easier for you. Just be sure to frame the wire part to ensure you don't have any sharp edges that could injure their feet. I say go for it!

Brad

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    its inevitable

5. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    If a lot of food and water collects at the bottom, and the temperatures are warm, you may end up breeding a pool of bacteria that may stink. [​IMG]

6. brettnreno

brettnreno Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    Reno Nv
    There is definately a reason they call ducks "fowl"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by