1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising ducklings with baby chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Puddin Fluff, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I have been raising chickens for a while but just received 2 ducklings whose mama abandoned them and I know nothing about ducks.

Anyone out there have experience with raising ducklings with chicks? I am especially interested in how to set up water for the ducklings to play/drink without worring about the chickies drowning themselves.

All advice is appreciated!

2. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Any one?

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I kept mine separate. They make a mess out of the tiniest amount of water. How large is the brooder? What do you have for a floor? How old are the chicks?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  4. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I raise chicks with ducklings all the time. No problem. No water mess. I use a universal Y port (chicks/ducks/quail/poult) drinker. I'll upload a photo later. BYC is having issues with photo uploads right now.

5. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    All are going on two weeks. 16 chicks and two ducklings.

The brooder is a large cardboard box which I plan to expand this weekend with pineshavings. My biggest question is about letting the ducklings get their heads wet without having my chicks drown in a tub of water.

Right now I have a small chick waterer and a 16oz sour cream tub with a hole cut out of the lid for them to stick their heads in. I thought someone might have a better idea.

Thanks.

6. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR

I am curious to see yours. Hope BYC gets their glitches worked out soon.

7. WhiteLeghorn2

WhiteLeghorn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    I also know nothing about ducks but I am praying that someone will be able to help you! Good luck!
    [​IMG]

8. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR

Thank you.
    :)

9. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I have a video of the 1 gallon Y port universal drinker I use. I have a 38oz as well for my brooder totes when they're little.

[​IMG]

This type also works for ducks & chicks together when the ducklings have just hatched. I prefer the Y port when the ducklings get older than a couple weeks, though:
    [​IMG]

This is what I use when they get bigger. The ducks get a bathing pan once a day, but I've raised ducklings with the horizontal nipple only with no bad effects.

[​IMG]

10. Housemom408

Housemom408 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2014
    It pretty much a trial and error thing. I did the same thing as you. As they grow I would come up with another sized container. I know not much help. Once you can get them outside it is easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by