Raising ducks, geese, and turkeys together...

Discussion in 'Geese' started by newbyduckmom, Aug 14, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Okay, I have poultry fever....now am considering turkeys (breed research not done yet) and geese (pilgrim). Turkeys for meat (assuming I can convince myself I can butcher a bird) and geese primary because I understand they are good lawn mowers lol Anyone raise turkeys and geese with their ducks? Any housing, behavior, or other significant issues?

Any Pilgrim raisers out there....benefits to that breed?

2. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    I have separate houses with pens for chickens and turkeys, ducks and geese. I did it based on their feet, probably silly but the claws of the chickens and turkeys are really sharp and I worried about my little duckies [​IMG] However they all do get to free range together.

Sorry don't know about pilgrims. I like embdens just cause I like the way they look.

Good luck, poultry fever is fun!

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Yes, I definitely suffer from that condition. Right now I house my chickens with chickens. My turkeys (Bronze) don't like to be in a pen so they roost on top of a chicken pen and on a board that I nailed between 2 trees. Makes them happy. My geese (2 Sebbies, 1 Amer. Buff and 1 Super African) and ducks (8 runners, 4 pekins) are all together in one pen. This is only at night. During the day they all free range. They are all happy together but the runners seem to rule the roost.

4. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    I have my ducks and geese together along with my very confused Ameraucana hen who thinks she's a duck: I call her a Duckin. I have 2 Rouens, 5 Runners, 1 Black Swedish, and 1 Ancona Ducks and 2 Pomeranian geese, plus the "duckin" that live together. They free range during the day and my guineas come round and hang out with them too.

I REALLY want some turkeys, but my husband and daughter out-voted me. The man I bought my geese from has a huge flock of heritage turkeys, ducks, geese, chickens and guineas that share a big barn and a fenced 3 acre pasture with lake. He has breeding pens in his barn, but when not using them, he just opens them up and everything goes where it wants. It was really cool to see all the different kinds of fowl wandering around the place. I should have taken my camera, but I just didn't think about it. [​IMG]

5. KristyAnn

KristyAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2013
    South Bay San Jose CA
    I was told not to raise turkeys with chickens. What's your take on that?

6. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    chickens can give turkeys black head which an kill them, they can also give a few other diseases, but I think only chickens

7. PalmRoyal

PalmRoyal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Lima, OH
    I raise a mix of chickens, royal palm turkeys and muscovy ducks. I have never had a problem while raising them together. The only problem I have had is that the turkeys are a little dominant to the muscovies, but I assume that is because it looks like them and makes a squeaking noise and they may think the squeaking noise sounds like hissing (the male in particular does his when he talks). Generally speaking, the turkeys that were raised with the ducks around are a lot nicer to the ducks and I think have more of an understanding of the ducks. However, the only turkeys that have had a problem with the ducks are the ones that are dominant and the tom breaks up most fights.
    I would just try it out. Maybe raising the goslings and poults together would give you a head start on getting them to like each other. However, I'm not sure if the turkeys would think that since the geese hiss that whenever they hiss, they are trying to challenge them or whatever. However, I think that you should be OK with getting all of them together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by