1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising Ducks in Maryland

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by smithmal, Nov 26, 2016.

1. smithmal

smithmal Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2015
    Maryland; Carroll County
    Thought I'd create a singular thread which I'll update when necessary on how I raise my ducks in Maryland. Although much of this information can be found in this forum or on Youtube, I decided to create a "master thread" which will be continously updated as I update/improve my yard/coop.

1. Duck breeds

3x Silver Appleyard Hens - originated Holderread Farms
    2x White Layer Hens (sometimes called "Sweet Emily") - originated from Murray McMurray Farms
    1x White Pekin Hen - originated from Murray McMurray Farms

2. Duck Yard and Coop

Video providing overview below:
    [​IMG]

Video showing day to day maintenance inside duck yard/coop:
    [​IMG]

Specifics about yard/coop:

Added poultry light to provide 15 hours/day of light so that egg production wouldn't decrease. Purchased light from here: http://www.onceinnovations.com/agri...ayer-poultry-light-with-dim-to-red-technology
    Added three a 6' nesting box sectional (containing three 2' x 2' nesting boxes so that ducks could lay outside of coop if they desire). Though the ducks generally lay in the coop during the early morning hours before I let them out, they sometimes lay in the nesting boxes. I have noticed that they also go in there to keep cool/warm, or have some "alone time."
    Added solar power lights both inside duck yard and around the outside to aid in helping to maintain yard when the days become short in the winter.
    Added a 6' x 2' x 2' utility shed within the duck yard to house all the tools used to maintain the ducks/yard/coop so I'm not continuously moving them from my garage to my duck yard (Craftsman Utility Shed; $100)
    3. Drinking Station Amendments:

1. I created a insulated drinking/dunking pails for the winter months that have worked very well. The seem to keep the water from freezing if the temperature is above 18F. If/when it gets lower, I notice only slight freezing of the top layer of water (maybe 1/8" thick) which can easily be broken up when necessary.

Video of insulated water pails seen here:
    [​IMG]

A thread discussing how the pails were built can be seen here.

2. Creation of a Continuous Watering Station

I bailed on my original idea to use the 30 gallon trash can with watering cups as the cups continued to get clogged up from the ducks. I also wanted to create a system that would provide both drinking and dunking water. You can see a video of the ducks using it below.

[​IMG]

A thread discussing how the water station was built is located here.

4. Sand Maintenance

Decided to use sand in the coop to reduce the amount of water pooling and also provide a mechanism to naturally filter the yard. Sand is not without a certain degree of maintenance however. Sand that is not maintained properly becomes clotted with yard debris (leaves, pine needles, feathers) and duck waste and will also become compacted which is unhealthy for ducks. Below is a 6 part video discussing what sand looks like compacted/clogged with debris, and overview of the sand cleaning station, using the sand cleaning station, disinfecting the sand and de-compacting the sand.

[​IMG]

A thread discussing how this sand cleaning station was built can be found here.

Thanks for reading.

smithmal

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by