Raising Ducks paper for English

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Becky89*, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    Hello Everyone....... I am writing a paper in my college English class about raising Ducks......I have of my own but I kinda wanted to ask everyone for a little bit of imput. My paper has to be fifteen pages long.

I thought I'd talk about my Therapy Duck and how he helps out at the nursing home, and then maybe a paragraph or two about free ranging????????

Any Ideas

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I used to free range my ducks, but then one got hit by a car (of all things!), so now I keep them penned. So I really can't help you there.

I like the idea of the therapy duck. Very cool.

Maybe you could make the paper a bit longer by talking about the different breeds of ducks. I think of this because I keep muscovies. They aren't related to mallards like other domestic ducks are. I think that's kind of interesting, and it's something that lots of people don't know.

You could also talk about incubating eggs vs. allowing a broody duck to sit on the eggs and hatch them naturally. Again, because I keep muscovies and they are fantastic mothers.

Just a couple of ideas. Feel free to PM me if you want more details. I used to love to write papers when I was in school. (Forever ago! [​IMG] ) I'd be glad to help you out in any way that I can.

Good luck, and I hope you get a good grade on your paper.

3. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I free range my ducks all day (if the neighbors don't let their dogs out) and haven't had much of anything bad happen ... yet.

The pen did blow over, and they were out of the protective fence they were in for a night so a mallard female went missing, but I never found any traces of her.

I think you should write up a couple pages about the differences between chicken and duck eggs. A few things I've noticed is chicken eggs is they have yellower albumen (the 'white' of the egg), smaller yolks, and more double yolked eggs when they first start laying. Duck eggs have a waxy/oily feel to the shell, have much thicker shells, rarely lay double yolks (in my own experience), have much whiter 'whites,' lay more frequently through bad weather, make baked goods and other things they're used in fluffier/moister... And so on.

You could research the benefits of eating pastured-bird eggs versus caged eggs. There's more 'good stuff' than 'bad stuff' in pastured eggs than caged eggs, for example.

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i raise ducks inside. I have two duckies that live in an extra bedroom currently. We're moving to a condo in downtown chicago (literally right off lake michigan in a high rise building), where their new pen will be in a walk in closet. Raising ducks inside is a unique experience unlike raising them outdoors. If you would like to include that in your paper, let me know and i'll enlighten you on the topic!

5. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Ducks don't have to have shots like cats and dogs, don't get rabies, they keep your yard and garden bug free, poop is excellent fertilizer, they lay delicious eggs for baking and eating... Ducks are better than watching tv...

6. Becky89*

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    Quote:lol ducks are better than watching TV [​IMG] !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay so I will try to include some of your ideas into my work............any more ideas????

7. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I am attempting to hatch some ducks in my classroom. A lot of teachers do this to teach a life cycle. You could talk about not only their farm/food contributions, but also educational contributions. [​IMG]

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

If for a 15 page paper you plan on using most of it writing about your therapy duck, it seems that using just two paragraphs about something else would seem like a filler. You may want to write up different ways people raise ducks.

1. Therapy duck (you)
    2. Indoor duck raising (nettie!)
    3. Outdoor enjoyment (most of us)
    4. bug control (some of us)
    5. eggs (most of us)
    6. meat (Le Canard de Barbarie and cottage rose is wanting to)
    7. breeding for show

You can use our 101 reasons we love ducks thread for ideas too!

9. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Heck yeah! That's a great idea. [​IMG]

10. Becky89*

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    Quote:Okay I think I might use all those ideas but the meat one................

Anyone else have some ideas????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by