1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising ducks with chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joethemurse, Mar 21, 2016.

1. joethemurse

joethemurse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2016
    Springfield, MO
    So I have finally finished my coop outside just in time for this beautiful spring weather. I have relocated our chicks outside as well as our two ducklings we just recently acquired. I have built them a raised duck pond but was curious what other accomaodations I might have to make for the ducks? Recommendations on housing, feeding, and watering? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    If one of your ducks (or both) turns out to be a drake, you will have to house him (them) completely separately from the chickens. Male ducks can kill hens trying to mate them...their anatomy just isn't compatible.

3. rockyhranch

rockyhranch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    and if they're anything like mine... the male ducks are brutal when it comes to mating...lol. For the pond, make sure there is a way to drain it easy or filter it out, ducks poop A LOT. My pond has to have ongoing maintenance.

4. postalpoultry

postalpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Mounds OK
    beautiful setup but be SUPER careful with that pond idea i fear (from experience) you are going to end up with some drown chicks!
    Chickens and ducks can be raised together with no problem other than that and I always just put some rocks or something in the pond (many spot) so that anybody that needs to get out of the water can, keep in mind chicks can't jump out of water like a duckling so give them a way to gradually get out not just one big rock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by