1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising Ducks with Chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lyndatu, Nov 23, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Silkies are the master :|

I saw some cute pics on the forum and I was wondering: Are ducks as easy to take care of as chickens? Can they not live without a swimming area? My coop is almost complete, the brooder is ready and I am soon going to buy some chicks. But, are ducklings good, too?

Thanks in advance!

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    I am trying to change a chicken (well poultry actually) law in my town, and a woman told me she had chickens who were quiet, not seen or heard, she even had a rooster who didn't crow! and then she and her husband got 2 ducks, who were loud, and messy. Someone called in a complaint and she had to get rid of them all. [​IMG]

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Try a search on Muscovy ducks. Easy to care for and they really aren't swimmers. You will end up doing a lot more coop cleaning with ducks. If you brood baby ducks don't do it in the house. THEY REALLY SMELL!!!!!! Yes they can live in the same coop.

4. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    A duck can live without a swimming area but would not be as happy. I have to change out my drinking water several times a day because my ducks choose to get in the buckets. They also keep the outside run wet. They poo alot messier than chickens so you will have to clean the coop alot more often. I would suggest giving the chickens and ducks seperate homes. All that being said ducks are very rewarding and definitely worth it even with the extra work they produce.

5. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    ooooh.....and I thought they were interesting! Thanks for stopping me! I'll just stick with chickens.... [​IMG]

6. aliena614

aliena614 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    do ducks lay year round or only in spring? [​IMG]

7. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i really really think they should have swimming areas. even just a plastic baby kids pool. their attitude changes so much when around water. they are different creatures then when kept totally dry. plus with water they are very, very clean. with no swimming water they get dirty quickly. of course, the water itself is dirty, but they are very clean themselves. the time i came home and mine was dirty i knew something terrible had happened and it had. a dog had gotten in and attacked the goats. you are probably right to no go with them right now, maybe later. [​IMG]. if you can't stand icky water, then waterfowl (they don't call them that for nothing [​IMG] ) arent' for you.

8. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    i love my ducks - but as babies they were very very very did i mention very messy - i did have them in the yard with the chickens until one of my male ducks thought he would breed the chickens ( not a good thing )
    they have thier own yard, kiddie pool and little dog house.
    they tend to make more noise and I have to clean the kiddie pool every other day and that is really messy work but once they have clean water they are fun to watch splash around and make a huge mess with water everywhere I normally have to add more water right after they get splashing around.

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by