Raising ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LNej375, Jul 6, 2016.

1. LNej375

LNej375 New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    In my first thread, I talked about my problem of bringing my 2 ducklings back to the U.S. Turns out, it's illegal at the moment, so I'm asking around to see which relatives can take them in.

What would a person with no experience need to raise a duck? I've made a list of what I would need to bring to the small family farm. So far, a doghouse/shelter and a children's swimming pool, plus food and others. However, I'm unsure about the shelter. Would I need a pen? If so, what could I use in a large, open backyard with no grass as a shelter?

Here in Iran, the temperature can range anywhere form -10 F to 100. How could I protect the ducklings from the heat and dust, as well as any predators? (The large backyard is enclosed with a 4 ft wall, but letting the ducklings roam would be a bad idea, as the ground is dusty and rocky, with many thorny plants and no grass to walk on) We're heading to the pet store tomorrow to see what we can find.

Help with shelter, the pen, the pool, and the heat would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Heat
    Lots of ventilation in the shelter is vital. Make the ventilation semi adjustable (e.g., closing and opening windows) with at least one permanent ventilation (I like slots right below the roof), so it can become breezy or cozy. Provide them swimming water, you can even give ice in the pool with treats "frozen in" for them to have fun with.
    Shelter
    You need enough room in case they have to stay there as adults- plan for about 9 square feet (in case another duck is needed or they have ducklings). Grass would be preferable, but if this isn't do-able, fence off an area in the backyard. Remove all thorns and pebbles and bed the run with sand or tiny pea gravel, and then you can toss them corn and chicken scratch every day to find in the ground, along with the normal feed. Also, to treat them, hang a light in the coop at night so they can dine on bugs.
    Pen Ideas
    You can use puppy panels as fencing for them to keep them in an area, because the four foot fence will deter most predators. Plus, if the environment is as "bad" (not saying it actually is! just can't think of a word!) as you say, most animals will only come out in the evening and night in spring, summer, and fall (or vise versa if their winter is our summer?).

Note: I really suggest- really!- getting the family member Storey's Guide To Raising Ducks. It's an excellent book full of information, definitely enough to get them started.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  3. LNej375

LNej375 New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Wow, thanks so much! This is incredibly helpful. So the heat shouldn't be a problem as long as water and shelter is provided as well?

4. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, and shade. If they are panting then they will need additional help with cooling down but most are really good with heat. What breeds are your ducklings?

5. LNej375

LNej375 New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    That's reassuring. And I have no clue; the people there knew less than nothing about the animals, and they seem too young to determine.

Great, thanks! So sand in a small, fenced area where rocks and thorny plants are removed, a type of shed or shelter (would a large doghouse suffice?) , and a small swimming pool?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yep both will work but the dog house will need to be modified to house ducks which will need something across the door or a door to keep out preds and windows or cutout with hardware wire over to let fresh air in. Swimming pool will be nice too ducks love water.

7. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, and a large doghouse suffices just add some ventilation and make it simple to clean.
    Can I see a pic? I might be able to tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by