raising ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickbird, May 10, 2011.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    i have 3 little miracle mallards, hatched in incubator which was off for 11 hours because of bad weather in our area. never thought any would hatch out. how do most of you keep your ducks from flying other than clipping one wing? do most of you keep them in pens with a top? these are about 4 weeks old and just growing like weeds, but so messy with their water.

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I have 10 about 5 weeks old and they are in an aviary outside which I walk into each day and feed them..they do make a mess. That's for sure. Once they are older and I let them out I will clip their wings on one side. Especially since 6 of them are mallards. The Pekins I was told would not fly away.

3. ellenaspen

ellenaspen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    D'Angelo N Va. :

I have 10 about 5 weeks old and they are in an aviary outside which I walk into each day and feed them..they do make a mess. That's for sure. Once they are older and I let them out I will clip their wings on one side. Especially since 6 of them are mallards. The Pekins I was told would not fly away.

How old are they when you let them out?​

4. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    D'Angelo N Va. :

would you post a picture of your aviary? i need some ideas. thanks for the response​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by