raising feeders ~ pics please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m2wandc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Will some of you post your various ways you have raised the feeders and waterers in your brooders as the chicks get bigger?

my BO is bigger then my BR, and I'm noticing she is laying down to eat...she'll sit an spread out her feathers and peck away at the saucer of mashed up treats I'm offering (treats in this case is ground up chick starter feed in the coffee bean grinder...they seem to like it a touch better then their crumbly chick starter food, which they have 24/7...but in the evenings I give them a little super de duper ground up food and they love it...

anyhow, point is, she's probably not really as comfy as she looks sitting/laying there to eat...so I'd like some ideas on how to raise up the feeder & waterer...and since I'm a visual learner, pics are greatly appreciated!!! [​IMG]

THANKS!

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    bricks.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I dont have a picture, but I just put mine up on 2x4 for the feeder (Long narrow one) and a 2x8 cut about 8 inches square for the waterer. after 2 high I switched to a cinderblock for waterer and switched to bigger wall mounted feeder.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't own a camera. I have those long rectangular feeders for the chicks. I just screwed it to a 2x4 scrap, right through the bottom. Later I screwed one to a 4x4 scrap for the older chicks to use as a grit feeder.

If you use a round feeder, you can put it on a dinner plate, paper plate, planter bottom (the water dish,) or anything similar, for young chicks. My waterers for my 9 week olds are on concrete blocks, as is my waterer for my hens; I use hanging feeders for both.

Just get them up out of the litter.

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    No pictures for me either.

I didn't have bricks so I used a 2 x 6 that was a little longer than the qrt waterer then as they grew, I added a glass saucer under the waterer to gradually raise it up. (1 or 2 a week - they grow fast). For the slower growing chicks, they could get up on the 2 x 6 to reach.

P.S. You got to get at least one silkie. They are so funny looking with all those feathered toes. They are so itty bitty after having the big girls.

6. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    My chicks are not full grown yet so I am using 2x4s left over from the coop just like a small water deck? Anyway it works, no shavings in the water yet. Now if they would quit sitting on the top of the darn thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by