Raising first duckling & have questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sydneyfugate, Apr 29, 2016.

1. sydneyfugate

sydneyfugate New Egg

Apr 29, 2016
    I have a Muscovy duckling who is a single child (yes I know I should have another duckling) but I am with him all hours of the day & if I'm busy someone else is with him. But I feel terrible leaving him alone at night. Is it a good idea to let him sleep with me??

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think there's a risk you could roll over and crush him. That has happened. So see if you can make a small night pen near where you sleep (as long as it's safe). Add an unbreakable mirror and a washable stuffed toy with nothing that the duckling could pull off and swallow.

3. sydneyfugate

sydneyfugate New Egg

Apr 29, 2016
    he is very much attached to me & freaks out if he can't see me. I have a stuffed animal in his pin for him but I just feel so bad for leaving him. I don't want to break trust with him

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all

5. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    It is extremely stressful for ducklings to be alone. They are social and need to live in groups. You will have a neurotic duck in no time that will end up too noisy, forcing you to either get a duck companion or rehome the duck to live with other ducks. If it does quiet down, that is a sign of depression and that will shorten the duck's lifespan unnecessarily. Right now it is depending on you for companionship and that is not healthy for the duck.

6. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    I agree getting him a companion will be good for the little one ( it will probably double the noise if they have both imprinted on you) but it will give him something that stays a constant throughout the day.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I will say that there are a few exceptional relationships with a single duck and human. Those are exceptional, with the personalities and circumstances that make it work.

8. lucysducks11

lucysducks11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2016
    I could not imagine 1 duckling but would love the experience. I have a herd lol and they all imprinted on me. I would, if I were you place the duckling in a basket or such so that it's not in your bed but with you closley .
    My ducks are now in the pond we have but fly to me the minute I walk outside and say "babies" it's so rewarding to have a flock fly to your feet. Good luck with your feather baby

9. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington

I think it has alot to do with a person's time as well. For someone who is disabled or never leaves home, it may be possible to be available 24/7 but most people are not able to dedicate enough time to be sure a single duck is forever by their side, day and night. Also, it may be the person's choice but a duck prefers to be with another duck. Orphaned monkeys will bond with wire mothers but that is no reason to separate them from other monkeys. I make sure our ducklings are sold in groups of four or more to prevent one from ever being alone.

I am sorry if I sound harsh. I have seen several threads where people end up with lone ducklings and it makes me sad for the poor ducks. I don't think people realize how traumatic it is for the lone duck, especially a baby. Their crying is heartbreaking when they are separated temporarily, I can not imagine putting them through that for life.

10. sydneyfugate

sydneyfugate New Egg

Apr 29, 2016
    I am fully aware of this but I'm with him almost all the time & if I'm busy he is with my mom or sister. He is never alone during the day or even late at night. I spend SO much time with him that I think he will be just fine. At night I put him in his bed & give him a stuffed animal so he had something to cuddle with

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by