Raising Geese 102

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Kevin565, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Brooding Goslings:

Goslings grow quite rapidly just like ducklings. You will need a decent size brooder especially if you are raising a few goslings. Kiddie pools or Rabbit Hutches are often used.

Feeding Goslings:

Ummedicated Chick Starter or Flock Raiser is suggested. Please AVOID feeding goslings bread. It has little nutritional value. Adding Niacin or Brewer's Yeast to your gosling's feed is beneficial. You MUST watch the protein level of the feed especially in Goslings. Excess Protein is believed to Contribute to Angel Wing.

Angel Wing:

[​IMG]

Drinking Water:

Just like ducklings, goslings need a constant water source especially when feeding. Lack of water can increase a gosling's chance of chocking on their feed.

This is just a start. More information will be added later.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Very good start. [​IMG]

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Taming Goslings:

Taming Goslings can be a very rewarding experience. Tame Goslings usually lead to tame geese. Here are a few tips for taming your goslings:

Make sure your brooder is in a area you often visit.

The longer the time inside the longer you have to bond with them more easily. A extra week or two inside could be beneficial.

Consider raising goslings in small quantities. It can be very hard to tame 6 goslings at one time. If you only have two or 3 goslings it will be much easier to give them a good amount of your time everyday.

Take them outside with you. They'll love the sunshine and it will give you a chance to bond with them without the worry of a mess inside.

4. grannyh

grannyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    San Lorenzo, NM
    Kevin 565... Do you have more info?? I received my first 2 goslings 2 weeks ago....We're in the So. NM high desert. Cold at night, hot in the day. I don't have nice green grass for them and I have been feeding chopped romaine lettuce with the chick starter (non-medicated). They don't like to be picked up so I haven't gotten them outside yet. Raising them with 9 chicks. None of them have ventured out the coop ramp yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

5. jynxster

jynxster Chillin' With My Peeps

the more you hold them and handle them the more tame they will become. Would be nice if the geese were alone from the chicks, as again as stated before, with so many chicks and goslings they will not imprint on you as much, they will turn to each other. The less animals there are, the easier it is. When I got my goslings I put them in a big hard plastic storage container from Wallmart. I covered the bottom with hay or straw, put a chicken water er in there, put a little sugar in the water (about 1/4 cup to 1 gal water) NEVER let them run out of water ever and change the water daily even if they dont drink it all. I also put a shallow plastic bowl of non medicated chick starter in there. This storage tub Gives them plenty of room to walk around yet private enough to make them feel safe and having them in the living room till they outgrew the storage container. Yes stinks a little but having it in the living room was warm for them and I could ofter walk over and see them talk to them pick them up. When they went outside with me on warm days, they would follow me all around cause they then saw me as their leader. Having them with so many otheres will confuse them, They would be much better to be seperate from chicks until they have imprinted on you. Also geese are grazing animals. They love to eat grass weeds grit/dirt, this is all natural for them. I always think of feed as the suplement. I know you say you dont have grass, but pick some weeds or grass if you can and pull it up with the roots and dirt, they will love eating the grass, weeds roots and some dirt is needed to assist i digestion. I feed mine kale, spinich, lettuce as well as a treat now that they are older. I have beautiful Toulouse and cotton patch geese. What kind of goslings did you get? have fun. I loves my geese

6. 028Jacy

028Jacy New Egg

May 4, 2012
    Would a feed with 20% protein be good for goslings? Thanks again for the info

7. grannyh

Nov 9, 2011
    San Lorenzo, NM
    jynxster - Thank you for more info! My goslings are White Chinese. They will be 3 weeks old the 22nd and I agonize over whether I'm doing the right things. I basically just have a large dog house for them with no electricity so I can't separate them yet. We still get down in the 40's at night here then 80's in the day. They aren't feathering out as fast as the chicks. I keep good clean drinking water for them all the time. I understand they aren't ready for swimming water until they are feathered out but I've ready otherwise too. (?)

o28Jacy - From what others have said, the high protein chick starter is good for goslings. There seems to be a difference of opinion about how long to feed it...from 3 to 4 weeks then start 16 % protein chick grower w/ cracked grain supplement. And tender green grass and other greens... I appreciate any and all advice from all those experienced people out there!

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    If you don't have grass (which is the main diet for geese) you need to chop up dark greens (kale, collard) geese are a pasture animal and need to graze as a large part of their diet. This starts as young new goslings. Spinach can be a calcium blocker and should be avoided.

20% protien is high, try and find a 16-18% and when you see pin feathers forming on the wings add rolled oats to help cut the protien level if you don't have a feed available at a lower %.

You don't want to offer hay that is full of stiff stalks. Fine leafy hay is OK, fresh grass and dark greens are better.

9. jynxster

jynxster Chillin' With My Peeps

too much protien will cause angle wing, Id stay with nothing over 14 and put grass or weeds in there everyday. seriously and 20 perscent is too high unmedicated chick starter is between 8 and 14 and thats plenty. I feed my adult 2 yr old 20 percent game bird feed but NOT GOSLINGS

10. grannyh

Nov 9, 2011
    San Lorenzo, NM
    Thank you CelticOakFarm! I've tried to follow your posts, as you sound like you are as experienced as any! Maybe I shouldn't have gotten geese to raise in this area but I'll try to do the best I can for them. I'll admit I've read so many differing ideas that I am confused. When do you think my goslings could be moved away from the light? It is beginning to stay in the 50's at night and the house I have for them doesn't have a door, just a good fence around them. I understand they do not like 'change' so I was thinking the sooner the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by