Raising geese for meat - doesn't mean you don't care about the animals

CelticOaksFarm

Family owned, family run
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Florida - Space Coast
People who raise geese, ducks, rabbit, chicken or what ever for meat do not care for the animals any less than someone keeping for pets. Often the meat animals are better taken care of because they are being raised holistically to feed a family and know you aren't buying plastic wrapped Styrofoam held antibiotic loaded meat. (or in the case of ground beef, pink slurry loaded meat)

Birds raised for meat are also never bred if they have deformities or other genetic issues, when you are talking about the small farm who raises for self use. Birds would be selected for growth, feed conversion and vigor. They will be fed a top diet taking in the needs of the animal to grow to its best potential. Then again anytime you are breeding any animals you should never breed deformed and or otherwise genetically weak animals together, the results are bad for the off spring and bad for the breed as a whole. To do so would be of a similar mindset as a puppy mill breeding for a buck, and not caring about the results.

Often times you will find people raising meat flocks right along side other flocks of birds that serve another purpose be it eggs or income or property maintenance (mowing). Those who claim birds raised for meat arent loved and cared for are just uneducated to the practice of raising meat at home. (see above mentioned prepackaged store bought meats) This doesnt make either side more right than the other, but belittling one for not agreeing with your thoughts and or ways would be wrong.

We are very happy to raise multiple meat animals and have our kids know where their food comes from, and no be raised so disconnected from their food sources. We garden also for the same reason, and we fish too. Its about choices, and knowing where our food comes from and is the freshest we can provide.

Its OK to raise for meat

Its OK to raise as pets

Its OK to not agree

Try and respect others rights to raise their food, and to raise animals as a source of income.

After all if it weren't for people raising animals as a source of income (Metzers, Holderreads, Boondockers ect) pet owners wouldnt have their pets.

thumbsup.gif

goodpost.gif

I agree 100%. Many times people think that because I raise my birds for meat, I must just leave them to fend for themselves. Anyone is welcome to come on coyote patrol with me, wandering over almost every inch of 12 acres of land to see if their is any new evidence that they have been back. Or come and help me explain to the old timers at the feed store that I don't want to feed my waterfowl only corn. Or they can help clean the coop, geese poop more than anyone that doesn't keep them can know. Or help ensure that my late season muscovy hatchlings are going to be warm enough. Or etc, etc, etc............

Same here, we invested in Great Pyrenees, we invested in good fencing, we invest in good housing to protect from predators (more than some provide to their pets who are out 24/7), we invest in good feed. All because we are investing in our food source.

Its all about choice and respecting the rights others have to chose to grow/raise their own food.

They get the same housing, feed and protection any of our other animals get. Its just part of the daily life here and frankly just super easy to think of them all equally rather than oh those are breeding for meat, those are for pet, those are for X. They are all ours and treated equally and with lots of love and respect.

We must remember that to eat or not to eat is one's choice, to butcher or to shop is also one's choice. I grew up in a small community but loved animals just the same. I new where my food come from even a young kid. I soon joined FFA and learned were and what it took to raise my food, meat or veggie's. I takes hard work and the love of it. Most people don't treat their animals as pets, but some do and some go overboard but then again it is there choice. Moving to MN my dad and I have raised sheep, rabbits and eaten them too. Now I am on poultry and plan on eating some of them too. After eating home grown chicken,eggs and now ducks we are hooked and will be trying goose maybe even turkey's. My method to raising for meat is not to name them but love them as they will have a short life in my care.

We have even ate a few that were named. I will not waste good meat or have a mean critter on the place. Ganders during breeding season get more leeway but are still subject to being picked up and hugged if they get to far outta hand.

You know, it's a sad thing to have to have a thread like this on this forum. I know, I know, I've heard them too. I've raised pigs and meat birds, BB and heritage turkeys and ducks and geese. Oh and throw in some peafowl as well and let's not forget the chickens. Every one of them is some form of food or breeding animal to get food. Yes even the peafowl if it ever came to it.

I love all of my animals and most have names. They live in insulated buildings and probably eat better than I do. They have maid service 2-3 times a day, fieldtrips, the best medical care possible 24/7, and the security around their homes is a lot better than what I have for mine. The ducks and geese go to the 'spa' everday where they can indulge in warm water bathing and swimming as well as the entertainment of watching me building more poultry houses.

Um yeah.....they're right. How could I ever think that I was caring for my animals?

goodpost.gif

I agree 100%. Many times people think that because I raise my birds for meat, I must just leave them to fend for themselves. Anyone is welcome to come on coyote patrol with me, wandering over almost every inch of 12 acres of land to see if their is any new evidence that they have been back. Or come and help me explain to the old timers at the feed store that I don't want to feed my waterfowl only corn. Or they can help clean the coop, geese poop more than anyone that doesn't keep them can know. Or help ensure that my late season muscovy hatchlings are going to be warm enough. Or etc, etc, etc............
X 10000000!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom