1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising Geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by yanks26, Jan 12, 2009.

1. yanks26

yanks26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    What do you guys know about raising geese? I heard the demand for geese in increasing over recent decaded and was wondering if this would be a better alternative than starting a business with chickens?

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I sell about 20 per year for meat at Christmas time. Geese are fun and easy animals to raise. The biggest issue is they only breed/hatch in winter/spring, so you have to keep them nearly 9 months before you can sell them. That's why they tend to be costly due to the duration of the "crop".

3. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Oooo thats a bummer. How do they only hatch at a certain time? I thought you can use an incubator any time of the year. Lol.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Geese don't lay eggs all year round, only in the winter/spring. That's why you can't hatch them whenever you want.

5. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Hahaha that makes sense.

6. papagoose

papagoose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I am getting ready to try my hand at breeding geese and ebaying some eggs and hatching some as well for sale at the local "critter swaps" I have seen breeding pairs go for $50 last year and goslings and teens go for $15 each. I have mostly Africans from what I can tell. I got my originals through Craigslist and Freecycle and then hatched out a dozen to raise for this years breeding stock. I am always on the look out for geese to add to the gaggle! There is a demand for geese and if you don't mind knowing some are headed for a dinner table you should be able to make some money off them.

7. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Realistically theres no such thing as "making money" selling geese (or any critter for that matter) unless you're a commercial hatchery or something like that.
    With time and feed investments you will be lucky to break even.

8. vkulesh

vkulesh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2008
    Oakland Twp 48363
    Quote:well, I also just bought a breeding pair of grey toulouse for $16 (delivered). They are great geese and I felt bad for their previuos owner, because there is no way she did not lose money selling them at $8 a piece. So do your research first.

PS there is nothing better than goose meat though! So you can always eat them if nobody buys them.

9. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I know I'm going to end up as a wayward home for geese-prob chickens too! The sad part of it all is that I love dark meat. I have found the goose poo water is an excellent fertilizer for the garden! I had some MEGA veggies last year using their wastes! I have to recycle water when I can, we live on top of a mountain and the wells drain down to the consumers below us! The geese get the fresh water and the plants get the used. Works out well for all involved!

10. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Oh, I also save on Health Club rates by hauling the water-Who needs Curves!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by