Raising gentle, nonaggressive roosters?

Aziara

Songster
6 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Is there a secret to this? I ask, because every rooster I've ever known was human aggressive. From several different breeds too.

Is it luck? Or are there certain things you can do to ensure they grow up respecting the humans?

Yes.

I usually pick mine up and handle them more then the girls.I pick his girls up too,all starting from chicks.I also shew them from things they do need to be in,or by,this keeps him in line,because i'm making him move.I walk straight at him,and he gets out my way.I never try and kick my roosters off hens and from crowing (Of course no 3 month old chick really is too interested to mate,and even if he tries,it'll be hard.)But,I am rough on respect for them,if I wanna pick my cockerel chick up,I do it.Last week he was perfectly find with being held,all of a sudden he is in a moody teen stage,so I still try picking him up (Unless he is struggling to get away.)He usually just sits in my hands once he gets caught.

But,not all roosters are like this,even by putting in sooo much hard work with them,hormones can come in place,and genetics.

I've had many cockrels, and some turn out wonderful, and some are jerks. Some breed types are more likely to produce nice guys, and some not. I don't cuddle my cockrels, but look for respect instead. Does it make a human aggressive twit a nice bird? I don't think so, but it may help one who has a few bad thoughts rethink his attitude. Bad boys go to the freezer, and nice guys get to be dads. Mary

I treat all mine the same and some grow up nice and some turn mean. The mean ones go in the pot and the nice ones get to reproduce. Over the years this has decreased the agressiveness of my roosters significantly.

Back
Top Bottom