Raising goslings

Philip B.

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2018
Newbie. I have many questions about raising goslings. To start, how long do you raise
them indoors before letting them out ? Upon letting them out, can they fend for themselves ?
Thank you in advance for any info you could give me to help these little ones.

Thanks for your response and I have read the article. I have a follow up question. If I raise the goslings indoors for the recommended time, can they then be released into the wild or do they become more like pets ?

I raise ducks, not geese, but I suppose it's sort-of similar

I wouldn't release domestic geese into the wild--it's a scary world out there. If they're anything like ducks, they either bond closely or want absolutely nothing to do with you and fewer = friendlier because they don't have as many distractions from you--I suggest that if you want them as pets, you spend a lot of time with them.

Would you want to release them into the wild? Most of them will probably make it, if the area doesn't have large predators, but you'd be spending quite a lot of money and time just to release domestic geese.

Welcome to BYC. Are you talking domestic geese or wild geese ? Both will need to be transitioned from inside care to living outside. Whatever the breed they will very likely imprint on you and remain dependent upon you; although, wild geese may eventually follow their instincts and join a wild flock.

Back
Top Bottom