Raising Guinea and Chickens together?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by ksj0225, Sep 19, 2011.

1. ksj0225

ksj0225 In the Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Think I can raise guinea (keets) and baby chickens together before I let them out to free range? I have a secure area, in a secure area... In which I already have free ranging muscovies, chickens, and guineas...

Just wanting to save coop room....

2. Ksane

Ksane Crowing

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I would in your position. If you raised them separately it's not like they wouldn't be exposed to each other anyway (unless you kept them in sterile conditions, but who does that?) I think they'll keep to their own groups just like different breeds of chickens do.

3. All-American-Chick

All-American-Chick Songster

Aug 3, 2010
    Ramona
    My Coop
    I hope so cause I am doing it .
    They have been together for 3 or so weeks since a few days olds.
    They cuddle together and before I put in the chicks those keets where scared to death.
    Once the chicks went in they started to relax and come out for us to give them love.Thery dont walk up to us but they tolerate the handleing from us all.

Good luck with your keets this is a new experience for us too

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  4. Conn55

Conn55 In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    [​IMG] I raised my turkeys, chickens, and guineas together this yr, in the same room ...it seems to make the Guineas less nervous.. the turkeys have less chances to get something , makes thier immune systme stronger. My 1st 2 guineas I hatchedwill come when called and eat out my hands like the turkeys and chickens do. I am new at raising them too, but a friend has raised them for yrs and he said it helps to raise them with other poultry, makes them less likely to attack the chickens.

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Crowing

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Mine are together too. Everyone is just fine.

6. annaserv

annaserv In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    northern Wisconsin
    I've raised my young guineas with the chickens the last 2 year (I mix them in at about 3-4 weeks) Had good luck, except the last batch that had a mother hen taking care of had a keet that was attacked by a cranky banty hen when the cluck wasn't watching (took care of that problem) but other wise they do seem calmer and they learn from the chickens to come running for treats and to eat garden scraps. Which my earlier ones will not touch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by