Raising Guinea Keets - Things they can eat.

abarglof

Hatching
Apr 23, 2020
Hello. We just got Guinea Keets. Unfortunately none of the supply stores in my area had Turkey or wild game bird starter and the cost of shipping to order it online was way too much money for my pockets. So I am stuck with chick stater. I know I need to add more protein to their feed. I saw a thread on here that spoke of meal worms, soy bean meal, alfalfa and a few other options. Can you give them scrambled chicken eggs for a protein boost? If so, how old do they have to be before I can give it to them?
On another topic - I have read and been told varying information about medicated feed. We live in southeast Virginia so high humidity is frequent...which I guess is a good environment for certain bugs and illnesses. The hatchery told me medicated chick feed is ok to give to guinea keets, some online forums say medicated feed is toxic to them, and another hatchery I spoke to said it is ok to give medicated feed but to wait until they are 12 weeks old. So...what is the truth?

Mine have been on Purina game bird chow startena (their game bird starter with 30% protein) since day 1 and according to the website it is medicated. They’re a month old and I haven’t lost a single one and they’re all very healthy.

Thanks for that info about the medicated feed. So I should be good with Chick starter and adding another protein source? As for scrambled egg - have you heard of giving them that for added protein?

Back
Top Bottom