Raising High Production Layers With No Light?

Stepnout

Crowing
5 Years
May 6, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Due to COVID-19 no egg layers were available until two weeks ago August 22/20. I pickup a few Red Sexlinks and Azure Blues. They were 16 weeks so now they are 18 weeks. Some of their wattles are turning red some are a bit slower as expected. I am not sure whether or not I am going to add additional light. Our days are becoming shorter. Today we are going to have 12 hours and 58 minutes of sunlight. By the end of December will be under 10 hours of sunlight.

I do realize production will be low with less light as a matter fact very low. Where as these birds are designed for high production over a few years my question is if I don’t force them into high production in the early stage of life will they continue to produce later in life? The sex links are designed to produce 300 or more eggs a year at Peak production as the Azure blues are designed to produce 295 eggs a year at peak production. Can I slow the production and spread it out over a longer period of time?
Thank you for your comments.

I don’t force them into high production in the early stage of life will they continue to produce later in life?
Can I slow the production and spread it out over a longer period of time?
Same question really.....answer is maybe.

Not using lights may slow the laying, tho maybe not this year.
Using lights with no break for molting can be detrimental to the overall health of the bird.
High production hybrids are prone to reproductive system maladies even if you don't light them....some don't go more than a few years, others have gone much longer.

Only time will tell.

Can I slow the production and spread it out over a longer period of time?
They do hatch with all the egg follicles in place that they will ever produce.

Starting later (larger eggs from the beginning), and laying slower COULD give the same amount of eggs over a longer period of time.. IF they don't succumb to reproductive issues or cancers before that.

First year layers are often still very productive despite the lower light conditions. :)

Same question really.....answer is maybe.

Not using lights may slow the laying, tho maybe not this year.
Using lights with no break for molting can be detrimental to the overall health of the bird.
High production hybrids are prone to reproductive system maladies even if you don't light them....some don't go more than a few years, others have gone much longer.

Only time will tell.
Yes thank you for your reply. I'll try and keep them as healthy as disposable. I won't be using lights.
They both really enjoy free ranging. The red sex links are so laid back, calm, just matter a fact! The Azure Blues are a bit odd, skittish, flighty but very comical.

They do hatch with all the egg follicles in place that they will ever produce.

Starting later (larger eggs from the beginning), and laying slower COULD give the same amount of eggs over a longer period of time.. IF they don't succumb to reproductive issues or cancers before that.

First year layers are often still very productive despite the lower light conditions. :)

Thanks, We'll enjoy what I have and what the girls give us. These are my second group of birds the others were barnyard mixes, we enjoyed them as well. I just enjoy their antics.

Back
Top Bottom