Raising Honey Bees

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hobbyfarmrookie, Apr 28, 2009.

1. hobbyfarmrookie

hobbyfarmrookie Chillin' With My Peeps

I am thinking of getting a bee hive, does anyone have advice?

2. Grant6411

Grant6411 RIP Steven

Dec 1, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    umm... dont... get... stung? lol jk idk anything bout bee farms. enjoy the honey maybe?

3. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    Read as much as you can. Join a local club and find a mentor. Attend a bee school. Then decide whether or not you want a hive. Or two . Or three. I think the biggest thing to remember is that bees make honey in spite of us not because of us.

4. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    My daughter-in-law is taking a bee class through our local university. With the class fee ($?) she got 2 hives (with bees!), a bee suit, gloves, honeycombs, and whatever else one is supposed to have - plus INSTRUCTION! Heckofadeal if you ask me. Oh - and the best part....it's on MY property(she lives in an apartment)!!! I'd look into it - fresh, local (the best kind if you have pollen allergies) honey is pretty freakin' expensive! It'll pay for itself in no time (assuming they survive). Good luck! Keep us posted!

5. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I just started up my hives this year...the best thing I can say is READ READ READ...before you jump into it. Get as much knowledge as possible by reading/watching/or listening to any bee info you can get. Join local bee-keeping organization and try to find a local beek that might show you the ropes.
    They are fun and you are NOT a beekeeper if you don't get stung LOL....my buddy/fellow beekeeper said he got stung soo much his first year. I have only been stung 2 times by my own hives...both times were my fault.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. hobbyfarmrookie

hobbyfarmrookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the tips. I understand read read read that was the approach I took with chickens, I must have read up on raising them for about 6 months before I sarted and so far it has been great.

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Bee school, a local club and a mentor are invaluable. For something so small so much can go wrong, which is where a club or mentor can step in to help.

It's also tough to stop with just one hive. [​IMG]

-Cindy in MA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by