1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising humidity for the last 3 days help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick_newbie, Jul 26, 2008.

1. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    The humidity is running 55% and today is day 18. Would running a vaporizor or humidifier in the room help??? I already have all the chambers full of water and a wet sponge in the bator, but that is the highest I could get it so far. Just asking to see if anyone else thinks it might help.....

2. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    first of all what kind of bator do you have? and what device are you getting this reading from? some people make the mistake of the therm. that has a wire prong that goes in the incubator to read the temp, and people thinks it reads humidity also and it does not unless whole device is in bator, just need these answered then im sure you will be helped soon,

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  3. chick_newbie

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    Mine thermometer/hydrometer sits inside the incubator and it is a still air.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It needs to be at 65 - 70%. Yes, running a humidifier/vaporizer will help...put it close to the bator. You can also spread out a wet paper towel on the bottom, put a corner of it in the water source so it can wick water. The idea is to have the largest surface area of something wet that you can.

5. chick_newbie

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    Thanks for the advice oldtime. Did the paper towel trick and the humidity is 71% right now. Here's hoping that I got everything turns out good and these little friends hatch OK in the next couple of days!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by