Raising humidity in Brinsea 20 eco for duck eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by loopy12, Mar 26, 2010.

1. loopy12

loopy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    I have both channels filled on the Brinsea 20 eco but humidity still only reads 35%. Strangely this is lower than the humidity in the house.
    I calibrated the hygrometer a couple of days ago.
    Really need to get it up as I have duck eggs coming in the mail today and want to set them tomorrow morning.
    Any ideas? Better still, any photos of what you use?

Also, the thermometer that came with it is reading 101 deg, but the incubator is factory set to 99.5, right? Which do I believe? I really don't want to fiddle the settings if I don't have to.

This is the first time with my new incubator...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. prncssprplfrog

prncssprplfrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Schuyler Lake
    I have the brinsea octagon 20 eco- is that the one you have?

I just got mine on Monday & set it up right away.

I had to adjust my temp a bit because the thermometer above that is included said 99, but the thermometer I put at egg level read lower.

As far as humidity- do you have the vent open or closed? I don't have a lot of water at all in my reservoirs but have put a paper towel across the middle of them so that it touches both waters. My humidity stays at 43%.

I don't know how much higher humidity needs to be for ducks though...

3. loopy12

Apr 11, 2009
    Hmmm, needs to be 60-65% and 70-75% for lockdown. Maybe if I cover the whole bottom with a washcloth?
    The vent is at halfway as the instructions suggested. [​IMG]

4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I have Bantam eggs in one of my Brinsea Octagon 20 Ecos right now, and to keep the humidity where it needs to be to keep the eggs from drying out, I have to keep both water channels filled AND I have a washcloth folded into one of the channels and then stretched out to the side to increase to surface area for evaporation. Even with all that, the eggs I have on Day 11 right now have HUGE air cells that look like they should be on Day 18 (although they've improved a little since I got the humidity up to 60%) [​IMG]

And trust the thermometer at egg level, not the glass one up on top. Although Brinsea's are supposed to be factory preset to 99.5 they're often not - mine was running a full 2 degrees too low when I got it from the factory. Right now, the glass thermometer in the top of one of mine is reading 102 degrees, but two thermometers I have at egg level are reading a perfect 99.5 - so there is also a little temperature variation between the top of the incubator, right under the heat/fan, and down at egg level - either that, or their glass thermometer isn't accurate. [​IMG]

5. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:I have the Brinsea Octagon Eco 20 and though I don't have humidity stuggles (I incubate my duck eggs like in the 40ish range then up to the 60s for hatching and they do well, although those are my own duck eggs, not shipped eggs), I will say that you should adjust the temp. I bought the Brinsea On The Spot thermometer and it was the best $20 I've spent; it gives me peace of mind that the temp is exactly where it should be [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    You could also get a great spot check thermometer from the kitchen section of Wal-Mart - it'll be cheaper, just as accurate, and you wouldn't have to wait for it to arrive! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2010
  7. loopy12

Apr 11, 2009
    Ok, with a cloth in one of the channels, humidity is up to 55%. I think I'll take the 55% for now - will incubate them in the Brinsea and lock them down to hatch them in the Hovabator because I know I can get the humidity up higher easily in that and they'll have more space. (I'd do it all in the Hovabator but its currently occupied.)
    Will check the temperature at rack level and see where I'm at.
    Thanks!

Oh, do you mist your duck eggs??
    Someone said that really helped their hatch rate...

8. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    I've never misted mine and I've always had great hatch rates (again, using my own eggs, not shipped).

9. brendapa

brendapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    Use a wicking material or wicking mat. I grow plants, gesneriads, for show and grow plants using wicking materials.
    Felt works good and is easily found. I cut it the same width of the Brinsea well but deep enough to touch the bottom of the well and lap over the entire bottom in the back and one to fit in the front.
    The water will wick up the felt and cover more suface area, always staying wet. Stick a thin straw down the little water opening and one down the vent on the brinsea, 1 straw in each well and squirt water in . You'll never have to open it.
    I hatched silkies and 2 matts were too much humidity. I only used one to raise my humidity from 40% to 59% at lock down. 2 wicking mats were giving me 70%.

Good luck and I have pic's of this on my page.

10. loopy12

Apr 11, 2009
    Excellent. Thankyou.

I am soooo frustrated. The eggs were shipped out on Wednesday very early in the morning by priority mail and should have been here by today at the latest. And they're not. So now they won't come until monday and will spend the weekend sat somewhere, flat and getting cold and getting older...and my own eggs from my own duck are also getting older while I wait. Really really annoyed. And USPS tracking is useless - just says they were dispatched - no idea where they are.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by