Raising indoor ducks?

friendlyfowl97

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 26, 2012
Do you have indoor ducks? I'd love to hear your story about how you got them and maybe even see pictures!
tongue.png

I was thinking about getting 2 indoor Welsh Harlequin ducks... would it be bad to have one female and male? Does their behavior change during breeding season/when they reach breeding age? Any advice on keeping indoor quackers will be appreciated
thumbsup.gif
Thanks!

The only ducks I have have ever kept inside were disabled. They both had leg issues and were unable to walk. They would not have been able to survive outside with the flock. This is Ollie in the portable cot he lived in. I had to wash his towels everyday- to keep his home nice and clean.

Some people do keep ducks inside - but they can be very messy. Ducks are a flock animal that are very happy to be foraging and chasing insects outside. Please think very carefully before going ahead with your plans. Ducks can make great pets- unlike a dog or cat they are much happier outside. Their behavior can change greatly during the breeding season- males are often aggressive when protecting their females.

I do know that a number of members on here have kept indoor ducks. Im sure some of them will post some vary different experiences.

the only ducks i kept inside had bad leg problems. a male and female hatched with one leg bent up. they couldn't get around good or clean themselves well.
also they are VERY messy so this was the only time i did it and it can be a lot of work.
this was one of my babies that had a leg issue.

I have an indoor pekin duck named Soleil. I had two but her sister was DOA :( Soleil is an amazing, sweet and affectionate, but very messy. Her food especially! I haven't figured out a way to completely contain the mess, though putting her and her food in a storage bin have helped. She is also a diapered-duck, which I highly recommend , it will save you the trouble since ducks are poop machines! My girl bathes in the bathtub and has a pool outside for the summer. We take her with us on vacation and she loves the attention! I made her a FB so we can share her adventures with family and friends :)

Do you have indoor ducks? I'd love to hear your story about how you got them and maybe even see pictures!
tongue.png

I was thinking about getting 2 indoor Welsh Harlequin ducks... would it be bad to have one female and male? Does their behavior change during breeding season/when they reach breeding age? Any advice on keeping indoor quackers will be appreciated
thumbsup.gif
Thanks!
Good questions!

I am wondering if you might contact a rescue group and see if they know of any adoptable ducks that need to be indoors. People willing to take indoor ducks are in the minority, and I just feel that there may be a pair of ducks who need a home like yours. Just a thought.

I have an indoor pekin duck named Soleil. I had two but her sister was DOA :( Soleil is an amazing, sweet and affectionate, but very messy. Her food especially! I haven't figured out a way to completely contain the mess, though putting her and her food in a storage bin have helped. She is also a diapered-duck, which I highly recommend , it will save you the trouble since ducks are poop machines! My girl bathes in the bathtub and has a pool outside for the summer. We take her with us on vacation and she loves the attention! I made her a FB so we can share her adventures with family and friends :)

She is just precious! Thank you for your story and lovely pics of your pretty little duck
love.gif
She's too cute!

Good questions!

I am wondering if you might contact a rescue group and see if they know of any adoptable ducks that need to be indoors. People willing to take indoor ducks are in the minority, and I just feel that there may be a pair of ducks who need a home like yours. Just a thought.
Good idea! no idea why i didn't think of that... thank you I'll check!
thumbsup.gif

We had a female pekin to start with but she got sick and had to be put down. Then we hatched jumbo pekins next, we wanted a female but only 2 hatched and we ended up with the male we called Clover. Hes very loving and around 8-9 pounds but at a certain stage he got really agressive biting our feet when we'd put flipflops on. He was also mating with us, doing his thing while biting onto our hands. We finally decided it would be better if he went to live with his hatch mate and my parents chickens at there house outside.

We visit and he is always glad to see us but his female hatch mate has him wraped around her little feathers now. You can see her yelling at him when he gives us attention.

We're hatchen more eggs this spring to get a little female welsh harliquin or pekin, who ever comes out female.
this is clover

Last edited:
Ducks are a flock animal that are very happy to be foraging and chasing insects outside. Please think very carefully before going ahead with your plans. Ducks can make great pets- unlike a dog or cat they are much happier outside.

x2 You really can't duplicate their natural habitat indoors.

Back
Top Bottom