raising just one goat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by The Dude, Nov 3, 2008.

1. The Dude

The Dude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    MO
    We had two goats but lost one in an accident. We're concerned about the other goat being alone. Will she be alright by herself? Mrs Dude

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  2. bUg_Farm

bUg_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    On a mountain
    She'll be just alright. She'll rely on you for company though, bleet for you, and do whatever she can to get to you. Goats are social animals and live in herds. I'd really think of getting a second for her (and you).

3. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    As stated before, goats are herd animals and do better in groups. Get her a buddy.

4. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    I've read they can become 'depressed' from being alone & possibly be easy to get sicknesses. [​IMG]

5. TheMomma

TheMomma Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Dansville NY
    I had two pygmy goats, a brother and sister, and the brother died in February of this year [​IMG] . She was distraught and lonely for a while, constantly at the front door! But I have a potbelly pig and 8 hens and a rooster that she hangs with, and I give her a lot of attention and she seems fine! Eventually I want more goats, but for now everyone is happy. Good luck with yours and sorry for your loss. I know I cried when Mr. Goaty died.

6. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    She will thrive better with another goat. As the others said they are herd animals and do better with a friend.

7. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I agree, they really do better with a friend. I sold my neighbor a single goat last spring. She's home all the time, he's like a dog...but at night I can hear him cry when she puts him up in his pen. I've tried to convince her to get him a friend, but she's unwilling.[​IMG] I'm actually surprised he doesn't come to visit...

8. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    yep, she needs a friend. you are in missouri? if you go to petfinder.com and type in goat they have lots of them for adoption in missouri. the ones I found were in union, missouri.

9. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    We raised a goat from 6 weeks with no issues.... He thought he was a dog as he was raised with our dog and even did dog tricks....

I wouldn't recommend leaving them alone but if the goat has a buddy be that another goat or dog/pig/horse etc.. he'd be fine...

sorry to hear of your loss

[​IMG]

10. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

we had a pair of bothers we bought this spring had them 3 months then lost one to a freak accident, 2 days later we went out in the barn and the second was dead, no sickness no nothing. Vet said it died of a broken heart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by