Raising Keets!

luvanimals3

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
I am interested in raising a few keets from my next door neighbors guineas and would love any advice on what to feed them, how long they should stay in a brooder, etc..... THANKS

I keep them on starter feed for six weeks. At that time, they go into a nursery area in the chicken coop. They stay there for another six weeks. After that, they get introduced to the rest of the flock.

One difference between guinea keets and chicks is the propensity for drowning in the keets. I always add marbles or gobs of glass to the base of the waterers because a wet keet is a dead keet.
and if it is possible to get wet the guineas will get wet. Enjoy your new guineas, they are almost as addictive as chickens & sooo many lovely colors.
big_smile.png

They are great birds. If you want to have a really tame one handle it a couple hours a day. My kids would watch TV holding a keet after they were about a week old. We kept them inside the house where they saw lots of action so they were not too skiddish. They actually got so they liked to snuggle in my daughters hair. It also helped that they knew us and our voices once they started to free range. Begin training early and there might be a couple that get really tame.

Back
Top Bottom