Raising Livestock

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ostrich25, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Ostrich25

Ostrich25 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    Hi guys, I've seen recently that some people raise livestock, but arnt farmers. Why do they do this? Is it for fun? Money? Meat/Milk/eggs ETc?

2. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    I raise livestock for fun, eggs, and eventually milk as well :) I just enjoy caring for the animals!

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Food.

4. Ostrich25

Jan 18, 2014
    Are you guys "professional" farmers? Like, is this your job? Or you have other jobs, and this is just a hobby?

5. Ostrich25

Jan 18, 2014
    Also, please say what kind of livestock you grow.

6. Beekissed

It's not a job or a hobby...it's food production for a family's needs. That's all. You won't find many professional farmers on a backyard chicken forum, though many hobbyists abound. In the past I've raised pigs, cows, sheep, turkeys, chickens, ducks and rabbits....all for food production. Currently only raising chickens for the same purpose.

7. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    This is a hobby for me but I eventually want a homestead type of farm where most of my food comes from my own land but I am only just starting out and need a job as well. Currently I have laying hens and dairy goats, im going to get meat chickens in the spring as well as breed my goats so I can milk them after they kid. Im also starting vegetable gardens.

8. Ostrich25

Jan 18, 2014
    Wow... You guys got alot of time on your hands.... Why don't you just get your food from the grocery store? I know, fresh home grown/raised for is always better, but going through all that trouble for food when you can buy from a store?

9. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    It's not the same at the store, not as fresh and you dont know where it came from. For me its about eating food that has left a small environmental impact that hasnt been shipped from far away, but you could go to a farm stand for local fresh food if you dont enjoy gardening like I do

10. Beekissed

Well..I don't watch TV, so that frees up a lot of my time. [​IMG] Raising animals for food doesn't really take up much time if you have a good system going and the food is safe, tastes better and I had a hand in growing/creating it....can you say that about the food from your store? Nope.

Also, I like to bond with my food and take responsibility for the lives of my food...how it's nurtured, how it grows, what it consumes, the quality of its natural life and also the humanity of its death. One cannot do that with the animals under the cellophane at the store. I enjoy the very integrity of the food in my backyard, whereas the food from the store has a shameful origin of mass production rooted in greed, with no regard for the lives of the animals in their food factory.

I think I can take a few minutes out of my busy schedule of life to raise and eat some honest food. Plus...it's my heritage and I like to continue that self-sustenance of my roots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by