Raising mail order chicks with a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by animallover505, Jan 6, 2013.

1. I wanted to raise 25 chicks for the 4-H chick chain. Then, I will show and sell 9 and keep the rest. My problem, however, is that I have no where to brood them. My friend has several broody hens that I might be able to use 2 of them. I'm not sure if I can, but if I can, will it be difficult to introduce them to the chicks and eventually the rest of the flock? Please help.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've done it several times. In all but one instance it was a success. I waited until the broody had gone the full 21 days on fake eggs and slipped chicks under her at night. Worked great, but the hens were silkies, a serama, and a wonderful SF hen I had that would mother anything.
    Then I had a broody turken (weird, but okay). Went through the same routine with her - 21 days, fake eggs, nighttime switch - and it was a disaster. She did alright for the first few hours but by the next morning I found a bloody mess. She attacked several of the chicks, two died; one from hypothermia and one because her wounds were so severe.
    I'll never try it again with any hen except one that I know loves chicks so much she doesn't care where they come from; as long as she gets some.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    To answer your other question, every single chick I have slipped under a good broody hen has automatically been accepted by the flock from day one. However, I haven't moved them to a different flock, just the flock they started out in.

4. ok. Well, after reading more about the chick-chain, I decided to do it myself instead, so that they are friendlier (hopefully). Any pointers?

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Spend lots of quiet time with them. Just sit by the brooder, talk softly, move slowly. Never reach for a chick from overhead. They have an instinctual fear of things grabbing them from above; like an aerial predator would. Remember that treats are the way to a chickens heart and you can start introducing simple, easy to digest ones after they are a few weeks old.

Some of their friendliness is going to have to do with their breed. I prefer the large, gentle giants like my brahmas to the more skittish breeds like leghorns or gamebirds. That's just my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by