Raising Meal Worms...Questions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by newtochick, Sep 14, 2010.

1. newtochick

newtochick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Portland, Or.
    Hi,
    So I got a bunch of meal worms and think it has been going well so far, almost all of them are now either beetles or little white larve looking things before they turn into beetles. But all of the sudden when I was looking in there today I see this GODZILLA sized beetle...WTH is this thing?!?! When I ordered the meal worms there were a few that were big, but this beetle is insane! If anyone knows what it is, please let me know! I don't know whether I should leave it in there or take it out and feed it to the chickens because it will eat the others!
    Thanks!

P.S. Picture is of IT next to the normal beetles...lol!!!

[​IMG]

2. huntinfamily

huntinfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Had to show this to my Wife. She raises meal worms to feed to her reptiles and our chickens as a treat. She does not know what it is but has had a few of these turn up. She says she has never noticed them bothering the other beetles.

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    It's either a superworm beetle, or a giant mealworm. Super worms are a whole different species. Giant mealworms can often get mixed in with mealworm orders from large companies, since the giants are the same species but are treated with hormones to make them grow MUCH larger than the average mealie. Adult giant mealworm beetles rarely appear, and if they do they are sterile. I've kept superworms before, and the adult beetles are known to eat the larvae. IMO, this looks like a superworm beetle, Zophobas morio.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by