Raising meat birds in a plastic greenhouse?

Pullet Press

Crowing
Aug 7, 2020
Texas
I've recently acquired a plastic tarp greenhouse. It's over decomposed granite. Could I raise meat birds (Cornish Rocks) in it? Would the gravel hurt their feet, or would I have to put something over it? Would meat birds be able to be raised in the greenhouse?
Also, would it be very loud when processing them?

I think it would be fine this time of year, but not in high summer. I would at least offer an area of sod or bedding so they can rest their feet if they wanted to. I, personally, have never found processing to be a loud affair. How big is the greenhouse? How many birds? Is it predator secure?

I would not want to have chicken manure sifting down into gravel. It would be impossible to clean and stink any time if got wet.

Also, a greenhouse in Texas would be an OVEN. Heat is a major problem for chickens and meaties are noted for being even more heat-sensitive.
Thank you for that info. I will keep it in mind. (The greenhouse also has windows that I can roll up if that's needed.

I think it would be fine this time of year, but not in high summer. I would at least offer an area of sod or bedding so they can rest their feet if they wanted to. I, personally, have never found processing to be a loud affair. How big is the greenhouse? How many birds? Is it predator secure?
I am going to add bedding, most likely even a layer of mulch.
I'll need to get back to you on the deminsions (excuse bad spelling) of the greenhouse later. I am intending on raising 25 at a time, and it is predator secure.

Question: Would an A.C. or a large fan (those giant ones at TSC or other places) be a good investment to cool them down?

Dust is a major factor when considering using any form of mechanical ventilation around livestock -- dust from feed, dust from bedding, and dander from the feathers. It's all both flammable and destructive of machinery.

There are fans rated for barn use, but IMO it's better to arrange generous natural airflow with mechanical ventilation as a backup option for extreme conditions.

The biggest concern I have is with heat potential. I have a (hard) plastic greenhouse, with windows you can crack open. I usually leave the door wide open as well. Even with all that, on a sunny day , it can get to over 100 degrees, even when the outside temperature is only in the low 70s. Even for growing plants, I can only use it in the winter, as it will start to kill plants as the seasonal temperature warms.

Your greenhouse might be different and easier to keep cool. But, before I went any further, I would open all the windows as wide as they go. Put a thermometer inside at ground level and monitor temperature, particularly when you get a sunny day. Note the difference between the outside temperature and the greenhouse temperature, and try to figure out how hot it might get during the time frame you want to raise your meat birds. It may be cool enough now, but a spring hot spell could literally turn your birds into broilers.

Back
Top Bottom