raising meaties and layers together?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by txreddirtgirl, Jul 26, 2011.

1. txreddirtgirl

txreddirtgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Decatur, Tx
    I'm ordering 10 cornish rocks and 5 americaunas (and i probably spelled it wrong!) from my 'local' hatchery. My question is can I stick them all together? Same brooder, same chick feed? I was going to separate when it was time to move to the coop, the girls going into the henhouse and yard with my layers and the meaties going into a tractor so they can "free range" and eat feed specifically designed for them. Any thoughts? suggestions? ideas?

2. txreddirtgirl

txreddirtgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Decatur, Tx
    no one answered on the raising chicks section.............thought I'd try my luck over here.

3. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    well I hope SOMEONE answers - I'd like to know myself.

4. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Mine were raised with this years chicks, they even freeranged right along with the others.

5. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    still have one living with all my layers. no probs here.

6. oaklandmama

oaklandmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    You might want to search the archives, I wondered this very same question and a lot don't recommend it. Meat birds tend to be way more messy, and get so big so fast that the layers kind of get trampled. I read others that did it, but since you're ordering double the number of meat birds than layers, seems like the layers will be really outnumbered. I'm far from expert though, try doing a search.

7. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    As long as the food and water is available I have found it works fine. They eat non-stop. Incredible appetites!

8. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    As long as there's enough room, you'll be fine. If you want Cornish to slow down, give them a feed with less protein. This also helps with the leg problems, it just takes a little longer for them to reach market weight. I've got a few that hatched the same time my rangers showed up and they're all in one place together with some broody hens. I'll try to post a pic in a bit. Oh yeah, I'm feeding mine 18% crumbles and whatever they scratch up.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    That's the way I raised them. Everybody all together: laying hens, Cornish Cross, and ducks.

But my birds have tons of space. A large safe coop with a secure run, and then they get out into the barnyard if there is someone going to be outside to watch over them.

The Cornish finished a bit slower, were pretty good at scrounging plants and bugs, and the exercise was good for them. I had absolutely no problems with legs or hearts. I also had no problem with mess. They are dirty if they are confined to a small area. That's not the bird's fault. He's not the one that is supposed to be cleaning his cage.

If you have Cornish X with smaller chickens the same age, be sure to have generous floor space and a lot of footage available at the feeders and water, so there is no crowding.

10. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    yes, raise them together. [​IMG]

at about 3 weeks give or take, they may start hogging the food, etc, so you MAY want to separate them at that point, however, we had no issues raising up some layers with ours, we separated them about 2 weeks before slaugter and put the layers in the main coop while keeping the meaties in the tractor until d-day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by