Raising Meaties... tips please?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MoodyChicken, May 6, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    So I'll be raising my first batch of meaties this year! This is my last year in the FFA, so I thought it would be fun to do something different... so meaties it is! A friend of mine is ordering them with her order so the shipping is cheaper. I've got 15, she has 30 I think? Either way, I'm stuck with 15 meaties. I want to raise them under organic standards, so I know no antibiotics or pesticides. Any tips, please? Feeding strategy? Is free ranging ok for meaties, or will it make the meat too tough? I've been told various things, but should I start off with a high protein and finish low or vicer versa or what? Anything is appreciated, thanks!

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    You really need to feed them broiler or turkey feed. After 5 days have feed in front of them for twelve hours and then take it away for twelve hours. It is helpful to put a vitamin supplement in the water to help prevent leg troubles. Go to www.welphatchery.com. They have good instructions on their web site for raising meaties . They also offer a vitamin supplement. So does Murray McMurray. MM calls theirs Broiler Booster. I forget what Welp call theirs, but it is worth getting. Helps prevent problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by