Raising older and younger chicks together

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by azygous, Jun 28, 2010.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Here's the situation: I have six four week old chicks in a brooder. I just ordered three more, but when they get here, the current six will be six weeks old and the new ones will be just two days old.

Will it work to put them all together? I read a few old posts on this topic from the site search, but didn't find anything that approximated the situation I'll have.

Any advice or personal experience out there?

2. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    its not a good idea to do that. the 4 weeks old chicks will lay on top of the day old chicks.

3. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    You will need two brooders for sure. The little ones won't stand a chance.

4. hipeatall

hipeatall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    I would not put them together.
    I have my chicks - 11 week olds, 7 week olds and 3 week olds - all housed separately. I will wait until they are all the same size before I do any mingling.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Thanks for the input. I had a hunch it would be best to separate them. My brooder set up already is a two bedroom condo sort of thing. I'll secure a screen over the pass-though so the newborns will have their own section, yet everyone will be able to see each other.

The present six will be six weeks old and will be spending all day outdoors in their pediatric wing of the pen, and just needing the brooder to sleep in at night until they reach a size to integrate into the coop with the adults.

It should work out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by