Raising one baby chick alone?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lswatson111304, Dec 15, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Ok, so I have only one egg left and I'm hoping and praying it hatches tomorrow. All the rest of my chickens are older now so this one lonely baby will not have any playmates. Will this cause it a problem being raised alone?

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

yes u can raise it alone....but...it will be very loud and want to be with u all the time. if some way u can put a bantam chick with it or get another chick from somewhere to keep it company u should

3. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Hmmm the only possible chick I Can get is one of the ones I hatched the day after thanksgiving. I gave them to my SIL but I'm sure she would give me one back to raise with the baby. I wonder if Ideal poultry has any chicks. I could call and see about getting a couple..

4. stephanie1992

cold u maybe put it with thos chicks?? maybe the mother will take it in?

5. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    I would rather call ideal. They are just down the road from me and told me before that there is no minimum order for local pick up orders so I might go ahead and get 3 or 4 more chicks and raise them together. That way they are closer in age. The thanksgiving chicks are already pretty big and I don't want my silkie baby getting picked on if it makes it.

6. stephanie1992

Quote:ohh good idea. ya thos chicks are big now for it to go with them. i think ideal is ur best bet. hope it hatches!! good luck!!

7. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Yeah, it needs friends to keep warm with, learn with and play with.... [​IMG] Good luck!

8. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    If you can get some day olds from Ideal, that would be great. You could also check Craigslist in your area to see if anyone is selling chicks - or checks for folks here on BYC who live near you. Good luck! I think your chick would be much happier with two or three buddies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by