Raising One Duckling Alone?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Finny, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I recieved an order of three mallards and two magpies. The mallards are all girls (one was a male but he passed away) so they are going to my aunt's house because I already have an all drake flock. I was planning on raising the two magpies together, but one of them passed away. Would the other magpie get lonely while i am at school and sports? When I am home I will spend A LOT of time with him, but I just feel bad leaving him alone all day. Does anyone have advise or suggestions?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Well, ideally, two ducks would be a minimum. And at the same time, I know of people who raise a single duck.

Having some sort of company is very important. A good sized unbreakable mirror and a stuffed toy would help, I think. And perhaps some quiet, soothing music. My ducks seem to like music.

Is the magpie going to join the other drakes someday?

3. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Yes in the begining of spring I was going to intruduce the magpie to the flock.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It will be interesting, I think it will work. Some supervised time seeing each other once he gets taller may help. Ducks are such individuals it is difficult to predict exactly how it will work, but using temporary fence helps, based on our experience. And giving treats at the same time seems to help, too. If first meetings don't go well, just drop back and try again later.

5. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    And thank you for the suggestions:) I will go tomorrow to get the mirror and stuffed animal. I have a small radio shaped like the head of a duck that I have been trying to find a use for. I got it for Christmas lol. I can try and find a classical music station for the magpie to listen to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by