Raising only roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tryingtohaveitall, Jun 25, 2011.

1. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    My family went on a brief getaway to a more rural part of Ohio this week. We drove by some different rundown places with a number of roosters in individual small runs with small shelters. Am I wrong in thinking they're raising roosters for fighting or do people raise them like this for 4H or something else? Just curious

2. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    That's how raising fighting roosters used to be done back when it was legal here in Oklahoma. Used to see places everywhere like that. Luckily the practice has been outlawed and those places have all disappeared. There's possibly another legitimate reason for raising roosters this way, but if so I don't know what that reason would be.

-S

3. Orpygal

Orpygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Eastern Panhandle WV
    That's how they raise them here too. A coworker of my DH used to be big into fighting roosters. He would load and drive them after dark to out of state fights.

4. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    That's sad. [​IMG] I was hoping I was wrong.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I know something about both possibilities. Could be as you suspect or birds could be kept isolated to keep them in peak feather condition for show. Some folks isolate roosters even from hens to prevent feather damage caused by mating. Accurate breed determination would give better insight.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Maybe they are going to process them. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    That's the way chicken fighters do it. Of course, if someone were opposed to slaughtering roosters, they'd have to do it that way too, unless they were rich enough to build lots of big pens.

I rotate my two roosters, keeping the off-duty one in a small circle of wire with a perch, so they won't overbreed the hens and kill each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by