Raising organic chicks on wild bird seed? can you do it???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by warmfuzzies, Feb 20, 2009.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    OK, I have a friend who told me she raised up her chicks on wild bird feed. She wanted them organic and you cant get chick starter without antibiotics in it here.

Has anyone ever done this? I raised ducklings without giving them starter, but not on bird seed. What do you all think??? [​IMG]

2. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Bird seed won't be organic unless it's labeled as such. It probably doesn't have enough nutrition in the right proportions to make for healthy chicks.
    At my feed store one can buy organic starter feed.

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    i would call around Blue seal makes an organic starter feed and so does many other companies, I bet if you as your feed store could order it for you.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    No. It would not have enough protein and all the ratios would be off. Bird seed is quite low in nutrition. The chicks would barely grow and as adults (if they survived) would be weak, possibly stunted, and wouldn't lay well.

5. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Thays what thought. [​IMG] I will stick to what I know: Starter, and as soon as they can, outside time to find yummy bugs and seeds. Then, weaning off starter as soon as possible.

Thats what worked for me! And I really dont care about the organic, thats right the bird seed wouldnt be anyway. I just wondered about that...diddnt seem quite right to me. Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by