Raising Organic "only" chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LibertyChick, Feb 12, 2012.

1. LibertyChick

LibertyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Albany, NY area
    Hi,

I've been raising chickens now for almost a year and am only interested in raising them organically and holistically. I am a very, very strong opponent of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO's) and don't want my chickens or my family eating anything that is GMO.

I believe the organic chicken standard is not good enough and should be much stricter. The standard is that chicks are "considered organic" if the first feed in their mouths is organic even though its parents could have been eating GMO feed for years and generations. To me, this is a very poor standard because GMO food/feed (whether human or animal feed) can change DNA permanently, cause infertility and organ failure, creates pesticide in your gut, destroys good intestinal flora (bacteria) and a whole slew of health problems. I do not believe that GMO will just work its way out of the body after a few months, but you can always start feeding them organically to better their health and yours.

These health problems usually happen slowly and most people don't contribute the food they or their animals eat as being the cause of their health problems. For more information on the serious health consequences of eating GMO's, please read the best-selling, best written book critical of GMO's called "Seeds of Deception," by Jeffrey M. Smith or go to his website at http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Public/Home/index.cfm

Don't play Roulette with your family's health. Get the facts and learn how to protect your family from GMO's.

Jeffrey Smith Dangerous Genetically modified Foods Genetic Roulette Monsanto

Some people say that they can't possibly feed organic because it's too expensive. This is a decision that you have to make for your family. If you want the healthiest chicken for laying eggs or meat on the dinner table, you have to decide if you want what you want to do. If you want to spend less money on feed and have lots of chickens, this will in turn negatively affect your health and you will go to the doctor more frequently and it could shorten your life. Or you can reduce your flock down to a manageable size, feed your chickens organic/non-GMO feed/garden/table scraps and you will be healthier for it.

I do recognize that not all non-organic feed is bad. When you are researching the feed for your chickens, search for feed from local farmers who do NOT use GMO ingredients, and preferably, do not use pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, antibiotics, hormones, etc. in the feed as all these would negatively effect the quality of the feed. I personally do NOT support local farmers EVER that use GMO ingredients.

If you are also interested in raising your chickens organically, want to trade animals/sell chicks, etc. and are tired of always asking if they are organic and what the person's feeding standards, then join this thread and enjoy your chickens.

Thanks,
    LibertyChick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by