Raising palmetto bugs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Thoughtless, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Thoughtless

Thoughtless New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    I live in SC and Palmetto bugs are in abundance outdoors. I am trying to find information on the best way to raise them to feed to my chickens. I set traps to catch them, but the ladies like them so much that I would like to provide more. Any suggestions?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us. You should post an intro under the New Member forum to get a proper welcoming.

Sorry, but I cannot imaging wanting to raise those bugs - if you wanted to get rid of them it would be an overwhelming task -

Personally I would leave it to nature, likely there will be plenty raising their own and provide at least an occasional treat for the flock.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I've never seen one but ages ago my friend serving in Viet Nam said the bugs were as big as a B52 -He put a box over one and by morning it has chewed its way out. he hoped it wouldn't discover where he was sleeping.

I think your chickens would be just as happy if you raised meal worms and they are much easier to control.

4. Rosa780

Rosa780 Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    My front porch, Illinois
    I started raising crickets for my girls. Started with 30 about 4 mounths ago. Probably have 200+ now not counting the ones I've fed them. Need a few 10 gallon fish tanks, old egg cartons, wood shavings for bedding, peat moss trays for laying and I make Knox plain jello for food. They ned water and can eat all kinds of scrap veggies and even chiken feed. Lots of info on the web to get started. Their on my front poarch now so we get the sweet sound of crickets all day too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by