Raising peachicks

Two disadvantages ...
- Some breeds of hens do not perch! silkies
- Roosters put the pressure on the chicken hens so that they start laying again ...the young peacocks need their mother longer!

Two disadvantages ...
- Roosters put the pressure on the chicken hens so that they start laying again ...the young peacocks need their mother longer!

Don’t have any silkies, it'll be a Brahma/Rhode Island red or a Buff Orpington.
I’ll have a heat lamp in the shed with them.

Two disadvantages ...

Can the broody hen raise them on the ground ?
How often do I have to worm them and what would you recommend I worm them with ?

@casportpony ?

Can the broody hen raise them on the ground ?
How often do I have to worm them and what would you recommend I worm them with ?

@casportpony ?
They can raise them on the ground, but I suggest you stock up on coccidiosis meds, metronidazole, Baytril, and Valbazen or Safeguard in case they get blackhead or coccidiosis.

Last edited:
Hurry up, momma! I'm tired of waiting on you!
IMG_6929.JPG
IMG_6932.JPG

They roost together and she has only been treated once for worms last fall.

I always tried to raise them in a clean brooder. Keep the conditions as stable as possible. Don't allow them to get too dirty before you clean them out. They are very weak to diseases. If you can make it through till they get feathered out you will be in a lot better shape. I haven't ever raised them under a hen before, but could work. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom