raising pheasants for release to a hunt club

chickengirl1193

Songster
6 Years
Oct 12, 2013
north Jersey
Hey Guys!
So my boyfriends dad belongs to a hunt club and hes also looking for ways to become farm assessed on his property, so the hunt club suggested that he raise pheasants and then sell them to the hunt club for up to $10 a bird. So he came to me because he knows i have experience raising chickens but i dont know the first think about pheasants...
He said that the guy from the hunt club said all you need is a big aviary and you get the birds in April then sell them to the club in november. Hes not so much interested in making a profit as much as hes interested in writing it off on his taxes.
So here are my questions:
What kind of housing and how big would we need to build?
what kind of basic care would they need?
where is a good place to get chicks and do you brood them similarly to chickens?
Im not sure of any other questions right now but i would greatly appreciate any advice!
We would be looking to do this the most basic way possible because they wouldnt be for us they would be for release to the hunt club only after a few months.

P.S. we live in northern nj
Thanks!

Wow, there is more to raising pheasants than that. First off how many birds do you want to raise? several Hundred ? In the long run, incubating your own eggs would be cheaper. Costs $$ for a pen. Mine pens are 20x40- 9' 6" high. Then there is a feeder and food then clean water .. Maintenance on the pen.If you don't have heavy brush in your pen, Blinders or Peeps will be needed. Oh, the joy..

Yeah I've contacted a friend who used to do this and realized how much work it is...
Blinders or peeps are really necessary? And if you have a good pen you dont need a coop?

You will lose money at 10.00 per bird.They will eat more then that when it is time for release.Let alone the cost of the pen and your time,and if you incubate the price of the eggs(if they even hatch),electricity,brooders,feed and water containers,lightbulbs and whatever miscellaneous cost along the way.
In N.H.,Tony.

Yes he is right there is alot more to it. You simply can't just put birds in a pen you'll need alot more stuff.
How are you getting your eggs
What are you incubating them in or you buying birds
How many do you plan on raising
The amount of feed you will need to raise them until you release them
Worming meds you will give them
Flying pen they will need to build the muscle they need to fly
So many more to name.
I agree it is always good for a hunt club to raise their own but their is alot of planning involved in it. And I know you are tyring to get all the info for it but I would call around to diffferent clubs and ask what they do.
I wish you the best and ask all the questions you can before jumping into it.
Start small and see how you like it first before jumping into it.It is fun but alot of work also!

Good Luck

Pheasants are wild. Chickens are domesticated. I have very heavy bush and brush in my pens. Therefore that is their housing. Peeps are needed when there is nothing in a pheasant pen but dirt. Which is how most folks raise pheasants. So you will have aggressive males just being males. Yes, males will kill each other. And eat each other. I dislike peeps. Therefore , I have a very natural setting in my pens. I've lost one male pheasant due to an attack of other males in the couple years I've been doing this. Also, abiding by the number of birds per square footage is essential for healthy and happy birds. It's a lot of work..

Thank you guys for the info.
To be clear im not taking this on, my boyfriends dad needs to be farm assessed on his land so his hunt club suggested raising pheasants and told him all you need is a large pen, you get them in april and release them in October. Then he brought it up to meand I offered to help because I have some experience with chickens and have a friend that raised pheasants, she gave me all the same info and said it was lots of work.
So im going to take this info back to my boyfriends dad so he can realize how much work it will be and decide if it's really worth it just to become farm assessed.
I appreciate all the help :)

If you decide you want to do a trial run,keep all receipts and you can see how much it cost.Even if you don't sell to the club you can see what is involved.If you do it because you want to raise a few birds then that's the route to go.You have to look at it as you would love to raise some birds and if you get a few $'s back from them,it's good.But you will never get rich from it.If you break even your doing good.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom