Raising Pigs for the first time

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hillfloweranch, Mar 10, 2014.

1. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Ok so I started with a few chicks, then progressed to turkeys, I have a couple goats for fun but since my daughter asked if we could raise a pig for 4H we are now moving into Pork! LOL
    so any thoughts, suggestions or general info would be great! Sharing what has or hasn't worked would be awesome and I have a month to learn as much as I can about my latest and greatest Experiment/Adventure.

piglets will be arriving in April; one Duroc and one Spotted. They will be ultimately raised for meat and I'm having wonderful visions of homegrown pork chops and bacon in our future!

so join in the fun and post away. I will post pics and updates on Pen construction or destruction as it were and our adventure as first time pig farmers!

[​IMG]

2. hillfloweranch

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
  3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Congratulations on moving into pigs.

some light reading

4. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    sounds yummy HFR

we will need pictures once the porkers arrive

5. hillfloweranch

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Thanks OZ!!! you are the best!!!

definitely piglet...lol....piglets piglet's pics! say that 3 times fast!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. hillfloweranch

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    I'm purchasing them from a guy named Bob May...he does this for a living...driving cross country buying, selling and delivering livestock for FFA and 4H people.

http://www.bobmaylivestock.com/

7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

what an amazing little business

8. Sash Ranch

Sash Ranch New Egg

Nov 6, 2013
    We, too are raising pigs for the first time this spring. I have a question I just can't find the answer for. We are building a pig house that will be 8' by 4' for shade and weather protection. The house will be inside a "run" that is 8' by 75'. Do we have to worry about predators when we bring the baby shoats home? We have foxes, raccoons, skunks, and an occasional coyote. Should we house the small piglets in a different, better protected enclosure until they are a bit larger?

9. hillfloweranch

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    What I know so far is ...keep the piglets in safe confined area until they are bigger then they can be relatively safe. But I am still reading up on pig raising

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by