raising pinkies

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by colowyo0809, Dec 20, 2010.

1. colowyo0809

colowyo0809 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO
    So, I was cleaning out the coop today and came across a mouse nest. there were several rather young mice in it so I did what anyone would do. I picked up the lot of em and tossed em out the door [​IMG] The chickens went crazy and started fighting over the young mice. So, it got me thinking. In terms of winter at least, would it be a bad thing to raise mice to feed the young to the birds, kinda like if you have a snake? or would that me too much protein for the birds?

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    [​IMG]

3. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    [​IMG] Interesting idea!

[​IMG]

4. colowyo0809

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO
    *sigh* well, maybe in the morning [​IMG]
    One of the side benefits of this is that you could sell the extras to area pet stores for their snakes and such [​IMG]

5. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    "meat" is not all that high in protein. Lots of water.. I believe meat is around 25% protein. I would have no worries about too much protein..

That is about where my advice ends. My birds gobbles them up too when they find them. A chicken on a quality range is mostly eating little "meaty" things along with some grass shoots.. Lots and lots of protein..

be well
    ON

6. colowyo0809

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO
    Well, that answers that question [​IMG] Thanks!

7. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    My big concern would be containing them, and what would happen if defcon 5 happened and you lost containment.

8. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Rats are easier to breed, they bite less too. They can live on dog food or rat chow from the farm store.

9. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    [​IMG]
    Intersting topic...

10. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    Quote:I agree 100% on this one. From experience, I would much rather raise rats than mice. They don't smell near as bad either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by