1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising polish

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mmclaughlin, Dec 27, 2015.

1. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Looking for a few tips..
    It's our 1st winter with 2 polish, they are about 7 months old with no signs of laying? Not redness and their vents are small and narrow. Weather has been mild so all is going well,although we have top knot wetness issues whe it rains and sometimes when they drink, and with the weather getting colder this week I am concerned!
    So any polish tips are welcome
    Thanks from a new polish mom!
    Love their personality and fun antics lol!
    Michelle

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    I have raised three polish in my time who were all entirely different apart from when it came to eggs.

You cannot rush a polish, they are unpredictable when it comes to eggs. I'm currently in the same situation as you with a 30 week old polish who looks about two months away from laying!

Wattles are a good indicator when it comes to Polish, they need to be bright red and fully grown. Also I find that new layers like to wait for Spring and increases in hours of sunlight to lay for the first time.

But you never know with Polish. They are slightly mad hens ;)

They are fine with cold or wet weather - although they hate anything that messes with their hair-do! Sometimes in heavy rain, my Polish Rachael just goes into the coop (or has a dust bash under it!)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by