Raising Poults & Chicks Together

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by serinat, May 12, 2011.

1. serinat

serinat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    Does anyone have experience with hatching chicks & poults on the same day and raising them together, at least for the first two weeks? I know some people intentionally hatch a few chicks with their poults because the chicks will help remind the poults about where the water and food is. But does this actually work in application?

I have 11 poults and 4 chicks due on 5/18. I intentionally added the chicken eggs seven days after the turkey eggs to have a little help reminding the turkeys about the food and water. But the turkey breeder I bought my eggs from recently emailed me and suggested that I separate the chicks and poults, as the chicks will be much more vigorous than the slower-to-start turkeys and might trample them/hurt them.

Any advice to give? How has it worked for you? I'm not sure what to do anymore.

2. mitchell3006

mitchell3006 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have used the 1 week delay for 2 years now with no problems. The chicks teach the poults how to eat and drink. So far I haven't had problems with the poults being trampled.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I hatched out six poults and twelve chicks two and a half weeks ago. They have been doing great together so far. The poults are growing a lot faster but the chicks don't let them push them around too much. In fact one of my chicks likes to boss the poults around. Just a couple of things that I have learned from this so far. My poults could fly out of the brooder box at just over a week so make sure you have a cover for yours handy and the other thing is that the poults do grow very quickly so they might outgrow your brooder if you don't have a big one. I had to move the group at two weeks since they were just getting too crowded in the brooder I started them in. They are a lot of fun and I love how they imprint on you. Enjoy! [​IMG]

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I raised 4 poults with various chickens, including a mini-mini cochin and a Mfdu. The tom thought all teeny weeny chickens were humpable up until the end.

Not that the mini-cochin ever noticed. She just walked under him, with pleanty of head room.

I am sure you COULD have accidents, but I never had any issues. The turkeys loved the chickens, and the chickens were ambivilent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by