Raising pure breeds

TherealZiggy

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2018
Tipton, IN
We want to raise three different varieties of chickens and keep them pure and I was wondering if there was any way to do it without setting up separate coops. We have one chicken house and one coop.
I didn't know if I could keep the roosters separate from the hens and then introduce them to the rooster and keep them segregated until the hens are fertilized.
Any advice and suggestions are welcomed because I am not sure how or if I can do this without setting up separate cages.

I think the issue with rotation roosters is unless you sort the flock and only let threat rooster with those hens you will still have a possibility of mixed breeds. Seperate coops and runs for each breed would be easiest, but I imagian if your dedicated 1 coop could work for a while

I wouldn't do it. Hens can hold a rooster's semen for a month before it leaves their system.

You might be able to manage with two roosters and two breeds. Put one in in the spring for two months, collect the eggs, remove him, wait a month, add another rooster for two further months. It would only work if your two breeds laid distinctive colors of eggs.

But if you change up the pecking order too often, you just stress out your hens (and stressed hens are disease-prone and unhappy) and it's a little pointless in winter as fertility and egg numbers both tend to plunge. And your rooster isn't going to be happy, locked up alone.

Taking into account my space, budget, and materials, I'd make another coop, a large one, and separate it in half. (Less lumber for the same space) I'd make one run and likewise divide it in half, one for each half of the coop, and keep a breed in each half.

I completely understand what you are saying and I thought of that risk too. I have a third chicken house that I could use and will probably have to if I want to keep the line pure. I am cleaning and redoing my great grandparents 100 foot, double sided chicken house but it won't be done until October. My chicks that I have now may not be ready to lay eggs by then. I was just trying to work something out in case the timing doesn't work When I am done I hope to have room for 12 different rare breeds

I completely understand what you are saying and I thought of that risk too. I have a third chicken house that I could use and will probably have to if I want to keep the line pure. I am cleaning and redoing my great grandparents 100 foot, double sided chicken house but it won't be done until October. My chicks that I have now may not be ready to lay eggs by then. I was just trying to work something out in case the timing doesn't work When I am done I hope to have room for 12 different rare breeds
Well, unless you want to try and hatch pullet eggs, you probably have plenty of time. Good luck. What do you want to raise?

I wouldn't do it. Hens can hold a rooster's semen for a month before it leaves their system.

You might be able to manage with two roosters and two breeds. Put one in in the spring for two months, collect the eggs, remove him, wait a month, add another rooster for two further months. It would only work if your two breeds laid distinctive colors of eggs.

But if you change up the pecking order too often, you just stress out your hens (and stressed hens are disease-prone and unhappy) and it's a little pointless in winter as fertility and egg numbers both tend to plunge. And your rooster isn't going to be happy, locked up alone.

Taking into account my space, budget, and materials, I'd make another coop, a large one, and separate it in half. (Less lumber for the same space) I'd make one run and likewise divide it in half, one for each half of the coop, and keep a breed in each half.
That is exactly what I thought I would have to do and I can't wait until my big chicken house is done for the 3rd variety. I am remodeling the old chicken house myself and it is a slow process.

Just a thought, but could you build a temporary tractor pen? It probably wouldn't be a permanent arrangement, but I think even my mediocre wood-working skills could get something like the below done in less than a week. And it would be great for those small isolation jobs that happen when you get a new adult chicken.
e3434aa009983b08e7672e426dede443--cute-chicken-coops-chicken-coop-designs.jpg

Not a huge fan of purebreeds, but I love the looks of the blue Ameraucana.

Back
Top Bottom