1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising Quail for first time...advice

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thepregnantgod, Oct 15, 2012.

1. thepregnantgod

thepregnantgod Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    The local feed store has about 30 baby quail (I'm guessing bob-white from pictures?!?!). We live in Florida. I'm thinking of picking up 3 to raise as semi-pets. I have a large fenced in yard and have a great deal of success raising ducks (which come and go as they choose now).

I understand the temps will be an issue and will likely bring them in at night to keep them warm. My question is: is it possible to just clip one side of their wings and let them free range in my yard? Short of a hawk swooping down to get them - if they can't fly over the six foot fence, will they be okay? After they get past the vulnerable baby stage, are they much different than just keeping 3 chickens in the back yard?

If they do get out, will they come back to the food source / nest/bed they are used to? (e.g. my ducks come back to the food and anytime I whistle).

Thanks in advance.

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    quail must be kept in a pen at all times. From my experience, most of the time they will not come back to a coop or food like a chicken or duck. Once loose and un-catchable, i consider it a lost bird.
    Of course i have never tried to freerange my quail, because everything likes to eat quail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by