Raising quail? In florida.

chknlitl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Northwest Florida
I am in nw fl. Thinking about raising some quail. Are they really noisy, and can u have a few of them in a backyard situation? I would definately use for table fair. Is this beneficial for me, feed cost vs. money saved by using some quail in place of chicken or other meat source.

Quote:
Mine are 6 feet from my bed. The male's crow sounds more like a songbird's call, and easily blends into neighborhood bird noises. I'm set up for 42 at a time, and grown them out in 2X6 sqft footprint. Keep the droppings dry and there's very little smell. Unlike my chickens the quail won't take to "treats" (not even strawberries and watermelon).

Quote:
Mine are 6 feet from my bed. The male's crow sounds more like a songbird's call, and easily blends into neighborhood bird noises. I'm set up for 42 at a time, and grown them out in 2X6 sqft footprint. Keep the droppings dry and there's very little smell. Unlike my chickens the quail won't take to "treats" (not even strawberries and watermelon).

I throw a little bit of playground sand under my pens when I clean up and the sand seems to dry everything up hardly any smell at all

I'm in Central Florida and just started with quail. They seem to be doing just fine
big_smile.png
I have mine on the bottom of the big safety cage my hubby built onto the finch flight cage. Have three inches of sand over the concrete floor. They sand bath LOTS and have no smell at all yet!

Have found eggs laid onto sand need to be washed off before eating so no sand falls into the bowl but no hassle really.

Oh, I like the noise they make but hubby is complaining about it. Have one that goes off 5 or 6 times at 5am.

Roosters sound like a wabler or song bird and crow at any time. You dont need a rooster unless you are going to breed them. You can get eggs from your quail for at least 1 year without needing to replace any birds.

Very little work when compared to taking care of chickens. I highly recommend going in this direction especially if you live in a suburban area.

The crow is NOT noisy at ALL but its distinctive, a kind of rapid rasping pop pop pop kinda noise. I like it but then, I like the noise the local Sand Hill Cranes make
big_smile.png

You cant hear my boyo's crow if you are in the back of the yard so even with bats ears neighbors arnt going to be hearing them. Hubby is only complaining because they are literally only feet from the bed.

Got three males and nine females and in 6 days they have laid 15 eggs. And thats after being moved into something COMPLEATLY different than they were raised in.

And the eggs?

FANTASTIC!!!

Quote:
THEY LAY ALOT LONGER THAN 1 YR! IN FACT THEY LAY THROUGHOUT THEIR ENTIRE LIVES, WHICH IN EXTREME CASES MAY BE UPWARDS OF 9 YRS. GRANTED THE EGG NUMBERS DO DECREASE WITH AGE, FERTILITY DOES NOT.

Ok I almost freaked when I read about deworming quail and chickens, but I do use DE on ground and in coops. So I guess things will be ok? I am in Florida also. I bought 12 quails 6 white and 6 brown cortunix. They are cute. Lady threw in a bunch of eggs. I have been incubating for 10 days and have had to throw out over half so far they stunk. What did I do wrong? Would like to try this again, but am scared. Out of the 16 eggs I have 4 left. Oh plus the quail I got only lay one egg a day total. I asked for 1 male to 2 female, so I should have 8 ladies laying. Is there any one out there who can answer my questions? Chickens seem to be a lot easier.

Thanks for any help. Even a suggestion of where to get eggs, besides craigslist.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom