1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising quail? In florida.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chknlitl, May 16, 2010.

1. chknlitl

chknlitl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Northwest Florida
    I am in nw fl. Thinking about raising some quail. Are they really noisy, and can u have a few of them in a backyard situation? I would definately use for table fair. Is this beneficial for me, feed cost vs. money saved by using some quail in place of chicken or other meat source.

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Mine are 6 feet from my bed. The male's crow sounds more like a songbird's call, and easily blends into neighborhood bird noises. I'm set up for 42 at a time, and grown them out in 2X6 sqft footprint. Keep the droppings dry and there's very little smell. Unlike my chickens the quail won't take to "treats" (not even strawberries and watermelon).

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:Mine are 6 feet from my bed. The male's crow sounds more like a songbird's call, and easily blends into neighborhood bird noises. I'm set up for 42 at a time, and grown them out in 2X6 sqft footprint. Keep the droppings dry and there's very little smell. Unlike my chickens the quail won't take to "treats" (not even strawberries and watermelon).

I throw a little bit of playground sand under my pens when I clean up and the sand seems to dry everything up hardly any smell at all

4. chknlitl

chknlitl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Northwest Florida
    Thanks......

5. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    I'm in Central Florida and just started with quail. They seem to be doing just fine [​IMG] I have mine on the bottom of the big safety cage my hubby built onto the finch flight cage. Have three inches of sand over the concrete floor. They sand bath LOTS and have no smell at all yet!

Have found eggs laid onto sand need to be washed off before eating so no sand falls into the bowl but no hassle really.

Oh, I like the noise they make but hubby is complaining about it. Have one that goes off 5 or 6 times at 5am.

6. astatula

astatula Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Astatula
    Roosters sound like a wabler or song bird and crow at any time. You dont need a rooster unless you are going to breed them. You can get eggs from your quail for at least 1 year without needing to replace any birds.

Very little work when compared to taking care of chickens. I highly recommend going in this direction especially if you live in a suburban area.

7. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    The crow is NOT noisy at ALL but its distinctive, a kind of rapid rasping pop pop pop kinda noise. I like it but then, I like the noise the local Sand Hill Cranes make [​IMG]

You cant hear my boyo's crow if you are in the back of the yard so even with bats ears neighbors arnt going to be hearing them. Hubby is only complaining because they are literally only feet from the bed.

Got three males and nine females and in 6 days they have laid 15 eggs. And thats after being moved into something COMPLEATLY different than they were raised in.

And the eggs?

FANTASTIC!!!

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THEY LAY ALOT LONGER THAN 1 YR! IN FACT THEY LAY THROUGHOUT THEIR ENTIRE LIVES, WHICH IN EXTREME CASES MAY BE UPWARDS OF 9 YRS. GRANTED THE EGG NUMBERS DO DECREASE WITH AGE, FERTILITY DOES NOT.

9. lacoursel

lacoursel Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2010
    Ok I almost freaked when I read about deworming quail and chickens, but I do use DE on ground and in coops. So I guess things will be ok? I am in Florida also. I bought 12 quails 6 white and 6 brown cortunix. They are cute. Lady threw in a bunch of eggs. I have been incubating for 10 days and have had to throw out over half so far they stunk. What did I do wrong? Would like to try this again, but am scared. Out of the 16 eggs I have 4 left. Oh plus the quail I got only lay one egg a day total. I asked for 1 male to 2 female, so I should have 8 ladies laying. Is there any one out there who can answer my questions? Chickens seem to be a lot easier.

10. lacoursel

lacoursel Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2010
    Thanks for any help. Even a suggestion of where to get eggs, besides craigslist.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by