Raising Quail on Wire

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Whitehouse Quail, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    I have a couple of quick questions for next year's quail production (that I have to work out over the cold winter.... [​IMG] )

How is bobwhite egg production when they are raised on wire? Large colonies, 1:4 ratio, about 50 birds with 2-4 sq. feet a bird

How is Valley egg production when they are raised on wire? -->Probably in colonies, 1:3 ratio, 2-4 sq. feet per bird

How is Gamble egg production when they are raised on wire? -->In pairs, because they are monogamous. 1:1 ratio, 4x4' enclosure

I know Coturnix do good on wire, from experience, and they aren't very picky! [​IMG]

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    All quail breeds do great on wire, coutnix are great layers.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have bobwhites on ground and they lay great but I have some on wire and they lay well too.

I have Gambels and Valleys on wire and they are doing great. I put in branches and such for them to perch on [​IMG]

4. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I wouldn't do it any other way.

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I dont raise Quail but I cant see it being very comfortable for them...

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:It may be a geographical thing here where I live my front porch are the marshes of the Elizabeth river my back porch is the great dismal swamp NWR, to say the least it is kina wet here. If I tried to raise my in an aviary here they would stay sopping wet full of disease you would,nt believe the worms that slugs and earthworms have same thing with my chukars on the ground they are prone to catch blackhead . Some one out west where there is dryer conditions may be ok raising birds on the ground but for many on the coast in the east there is no other way then raising them on wire.

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:It may be a geographical thing here where I live my front porch are the marshes of the Elizabeth river my back porch is the great dismal swamp NWR, to say the least it is kina wet here. If I tried to raise my in an aviary here they would stay sopping wet full of disease you would,nt believe the worms that slugs and earthworms have same thing with my chukars on the ground they are prone to catch blackhead . Some one out west where there is dryer conditions may be ok raising birds on the ground but for many on the coast in the east there is no other way then raising them on wire.

yes, you have a point. Its not THAT wet here, I guess it depends on your location

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay

yes, you have a point. Its not THAT wet here, I guess it depends on your location

Also if you supply little rest areas for them to dust bath in and lay in (I use those plastic kitty litter pans and fill with pine shavings) it's not bad at all [​IMG]

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I personally don't like to raise quail on wire, I don't have a problem with it as long as they have an area that has shavings or something.

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The only bird I keep on bedding are the button quail.

And the African Harlequin quail, can't forget them;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by