Raising Quail Outside

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TheMartianChick, May 15, 2009.

1. I know that many people here raise quail outside in cages. My question is: Do you have problems with predators like raccoons? Do other people's dogs often bother your birds?

I live in a city, but I have a large dog pen in my backyard. It is currently unoccupied, but I am wondering if I could move my quail cages in there. I could snap a lock on the gate to make it less likely that someone would be able to slip a dog inside. It doesn't have wire over the top, so I am a bit concerned about raccoons because they definitely lurk in the city.

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    that sounds like a good setup. I'd make sure the cages aren't within a 'coon's arm length so they can strangle/pull through a bird. And wire across the top is pretty cheap. So is an electric fence charger and galv. wire [​IMG]

3. Unfortunately, an electric fence is illegal in my city (or I'd do it!). The dog pen is made of chain link, but the quail cages are made of welded wire/hardware cloth that is 1/2" x 1/2" and 1/4" x 1/4" on the bottom. I think that the hardware cloth would solve the problem of raccoons being able to reach in.

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Oh, yeah, you are safe!!!! Most don't use 1/2 x 1/2, so you could just about put your cages anywhere!

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I have my quails in cages inside a fence and it works very well. sometimes hawks harrass them but other than that my birds so far are safe [​IMG] we are going to be putting up electric though here eventually as some neighbors dont understand the meaning of keeping your dogs in your own yard.. [​IMG]

6. minesrd

minesrd In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    you'd never have to worry about my dogs, Jason's chickens chase them and they run for momma .... [​IMG] (they're chihuahua and chihuahua/yorkie)

Last edited: May 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by