Raising Rabbits with chickens...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Eneick, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Eneick

Eneick New Egg

Nov 29, 2014
    Hi all,
    The past couple of years we have been having issues with animals... like predators. So I was wondering if I could keep rabbits and chickens in the same area. I have a 13 ft by 9 ft by 10+ ft chicken coop located in a barn. I was thinking of using 30inc by 36 inc by 18 inc rabbit cages with thin wire spot. Im thinking of only keeping enough chickens for eggs. I live in Ohio. The amount of chickens we may get is about 10... Maybe less. rabbits i'm thinking 6 plus whatever young rabbits that would go nicely in the breeding program. what are your guys opinion on this, if I have the cages two feet off the ground and use a slanted plane between level a and b to keep the chickens off of the cages.
    Thank you

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Would the rabbits be running free with the chickens or in cages?

I've had it work both ways, but learned a few things.

If running free, never let a doe kindle with the chickens...they WILL EAT the babies if they can. Running around, they usually get along just fine, but not if the doe is having babies. Always keep the buck(s) in a cage until you want them to breed, and keep the doe in a cage for 2 weeks before kindling, and until the babies are weaned.

If you are keeping the rabbits in cages, you will have no problems. It would be good to have something on top of the cages, or the rabbits will get pooped on. Also, one the doe's cages, use baby saver wire all around the sides so the babies can't accidentally fall out and get eaten. And make sure the latches on the cages can't be opened by them or the chickens [​IMG]

If you take into consideration these few point when breeding the rabbits, you will be fine :) I have kept them together (in cages and running free) for a long time :)

3. Eneick

Eneick New Egg

Nov 29, 2014
    awesome! Thank you!! I think the rabbits will stay in the cages and only let out if they are highly supervised.

4. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    your welcome! sounds good. adults will do fine running around with chickens. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by